Digital Smoker Generator

Started by SmokinDuramax, February 24, 2014, 02:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinDuramax

Can this be done? I would like to know if I can attach my generator to a homemade wooden box! 4FT wide 4 FT high 2FT deep. This would be used for cold smoking only. Reason for doing this is that I have been doing a lot of sausage and it takes me to long in the 6 rack...I do know I would need to buy the bypass plug. Thoughts?  Thanks!

tskeeter

See no reason why your idea would not work.  You're building a smoker and hanging a smoke generator on it.  Just like in the plans that used to be attached to the old Bradley web site (they may still be attached to the current web site, I just haven't gone looking for them).  I assume that you're putting appropriate vents and the like in your wood box.

I also assume that you're an experienced smoker and are familiar with the ins and outs of curing sausage and the danger zone for bacteria growth.

Saber 4

Quote from: tskeeter on February 24, 2014, 03:48:49 PM
See no reason why your idea would not work.  You're building a smoker and hanging a smoke generator on it.  Just like in the plans that used to be attached to the old Bradley web site (they may still be attached to the current web site, I just haven't gone looking for them).  I assume that you're putting appropriate vents and the like in your wood box.

I also assume that you're an experienced smoker and are familiar with the ins and outs of curing sausage and the danger zone for bacteria growth.

I agree, they still sell separate SG's to build your own smoker, you'll need to pipe the smoke into the box though, if the SG is in the box the temps will get over 100 pretty quickly. At least they do in my 4 rack.

SmokinDuramax

Quote from: Saber 4 on February 24, 2014, 05:32:01 PM
Quote from: tskeeter on February 24, 2014, 03:48:49 PM

I've been smoking for about 4-5 years. But can never be to safe. I was going to use a vent like the Bradley's have on them in the top. Would that be enough? Thanks!

I agree, they still sell separate SG's to build your own smoker, you'll need to pipe the smoke into the box though, if the SG is in the box the temps will get over 100 pretty quickly. At least they do in my 4 rack.
I cold smoke my sausage , bacon and cheese without a pipe! But I only do it when its colder than 40 F with ice in the bowl. No problem keeping it under 100 F

Habanero Smoker

If you have a digital generator, in order for it to work you will need to order a bypass plug from Bradley or build your own.

Bypass Plug

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokinDuramax

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 25, 2014, 01:35:08 AM
If you have a digital generator, in order for it to work you will need to order a bypass plug from Bradley or build your own.

Bypass Plug
Yes sorry forgot to put that in the other post.Im getting one from yard and pool.

SmokinDuramax

Do you guys think the generator will make enough smoke for that big of area? Thanks

tskeeter

Oh, sure.  You're only talking about 32 cubic feet.  The plans that Bradley had on their site linked to the smoker generator was for about a 55 - 60 cubic foot smoker.

Saber 4

Quote from: tskeeter on February 26, 2014, 04:36:26 PM
Oh, sure.  You're only talking about 32 cubic feet.  The plans that Bradley had on their site linked to the smoker generator was for about a 55 - 60 cubic foot smoker.

X2, you will have all the smoke you want.