preserving the bisquettes

Started by jimwaltman, March 02, 2014, 06:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimwaltman

I haven't used many of my bisquettes.  (shame)  I did a briskette yesterday and used some old hickory.  Even though still sealed I could tell they were too dry and had no scent to them.  I may have to trash 5 or 6 boxes of different flavors I have not used.  Any thoughts on how to preserve them?  Using them up is the best option.  Dissapointed that I am going to waste them.

Jim O

I leave my unused pucks in the cello wrap until I need them,then after I've opened the cello sleeve,I put whatever is left in the sleeve,in an air tight (?) Tupperrware type container.
Seems to work for me.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Habanero Smoker

Hi jimwaltman;

Welcome to the forum.

Don't throw them away, just because you cannot detect a smell. Test one the you cannot smell any aroma, by placing one on the preheated bisquette burner, and you should get a good aroma from the smoke. The bisquettes may look too dry, but all packages contain loose particles, the may make them seem too dry.

I leave bisquettes in unopened cellophane packages as they are manufactured in. If I have a partial package open, I place those in a quart freezer sealable bag, and throw the card in the bag with the bisquettes so I don't mistaken them for another flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Fireguy06

If u want to throw them away I will take them they do t go bad wood doesn't loose it's aroma unless you cross contaminate them with another product
OBS
Aubers single probe PID
Gas grill
Weber kettle grill
Traeger pellet grill

Tenpoint5

If all else fails save them to use in your charcoal grill or in your gas grill (Placed in a metal container on top of the heat deflectors)
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

tskeeter

Jim, I'm with the others who store open bisquettes in zip locks and/or a Tupperware type plastic container.  I keep the bisquettes sealed up to keep them from absorbing moisture. 

What I do is kind of overkill.  When I break the cellophane over wrap on a box of bisquettes, I put the bisquettes (still sealed in the internal cellophane) in a zip lock.  Then I put the zip lock in a plastic container.  My logic is that Bradley provided a sealed wrapper inside the box and put a sealed wrapper over the outside of the box for a reason.  I suspected that reason was moisture (enough moisture could cause the bisquettes to swell and not fit through the smoke generator, or absorbed moisture would cause the bisquettes to fall apart?).  Since I planned to keep little used flavors of bisquettes for a couple of years or so, and store the bisquettes outside in the smoker shed, where they probably would be exposed to more moisture in the air than inside the house, I decided I should probably try to one up Bradley and add a third layer of moisture resistance.  So, cellophane, in zip lock, in an air tight plastic container.