Which Brisket to buy?

Started by rhodhse, June 28, 2006, 07:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhodhse

Hello Smoker Technicians

Although, I've had a Bradley for a few years, I've never smoked a brisket.  In reading many posts I see advice about getting a brisket with Deckle on, not just the flat, or just smoking the Deckle.  In a local warehouse store I see a full, boneless brisket that is about 11-12 lbs., and I have also seen the flat only.  The flat seems like a fairly thin chunk of meat, so I was thinking the full brisket may be the trick....but how do I cut this thing to smoke?  Should I separate the flat from the deckle and smoke...just pick a good spot to cut in-half, making a couple of pieces that are about equal...???Any advice, please..

Habanero Smoker

I never did a whole brisket. Never been able to find one, though the latest Sam's magazine states they have them. So maybe I will ask next time I'm at Sam's.

Here are some instructions.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rhodhse

Thanks so much for the info.   What I was calling the deckle is really the point.  This web site has excellent info. and great pics.  I live in So. Cal. and the full brisket is available at a store called "Smart and Final".  I usually buy cryovac sub-primal cuts  at "Costco" and then cut my own steaks, etc.  The "Smart and Final" meat has no grading indicated on the label...so I wonder, must be select.  If I buy this whole brisket, I may just trim per this web site and then cut it in half, to fit into the Bradley.  The whole brisket is only 17 bucks so its worth the trial.   

Oldman

Quoteso I wonder, must be select.

If there is only a USDA approved stamp then more that likely it will be utility grade.  All selects I've seen are labled as such.

Rankings:

1. Prime
2. Choice
3. Select
4. Utility

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Nice info Hab. Thanks.
I've done briskets whole and seperated. I like to seperate them and put the point on the rack above the flat to let the fat drip down on the leaner flat when it starts to render. The flat is usually done a bit before the point so you can pull them out as needed. Either way it's darn good vittles. I would stick with choice if possible. Old's is right about the labling so look for the choice stamp. ;D

rhodhse

Utility grade I didn't expect to see for retail.  I will look much closer.  I wonder what utility grade is used for??? If it is only select, do you guys think it is worth the trouble?? 

Splitting, with the point on rack above sounds like great food to me.     

Again, thanks....Still just new to the forum, but it feels like chatting with old friends.

I gotta learn the forum tools, time to read help...forgive my mistakes.   

Habanero Smoker

That website has a lot of information. This morning when I was on it I notice they have meat charts that you can download.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Biggun

Rhod-

I live in So Cal too. Both Albertson's and Ralph's carry choice (and select) full packers. They won't have them on display alot of time, but usually have them in back, or can order them. With both these chains, their meat selection varies with the economic makeup of the neighborhood- sometimes, it's easier to find shoulders and picnics in the cheaper neighborhoods.

Also, be patient with briskets. There seem to be endless opinions on how to cook, prepare, foil, hold, etc. them. Just when you get your technique "perfect", you'll turn out a dud (at least a semi-dud). Just keep playing, and have fun with it!

BigSmoker

IMHO a choice brisket is a must.  If you will take the time to wet age it for at least 2 weeks it will be even better.  3 weeks of aging is even more better(Olds qued me in on the 3+ week part).  Rub the seperated brisket with your favorite beef rub(both pieces).  Place the point on the top shelf flat on the next.  Use Oak, hickory or pecan in that order of preference as far as the smoking wood IMO.  Use 2 of the 1st wood then 1 apple, repeat for at least 4 hours but not more than 6.  Cook/smoke until the flat is 185f(your Bradley temp can be as low as 200f but not higher than 250f).  Remove both pieces and wrap individually in heavy duty foil.  Add 1/4 cup apple juice and a really good squeeze of honey in the bottom of the foil.  Make sure the flat is fat side up.  The point dosen't matter.  Place the 2 pieces of meat in a cooler that has a layer of towels in the bottom nothing else.  Put in the 2 foil packs.  Cover with more towels and let it sit for at least 2 hours but no more than 6 hours.  When this is complete remove the flat and make sure you slice it across the grain no more that 1/4" thick straight down cuts not at an angle.  If you will make a notch in the flat with a knife running with the grain when it is raw cutting against the grain will be easy after it is cooked.  If this does not yield a moist brisket that everyone will ga-ga over Olds, Mallard Wacker, NSXBill, Habs, Chez Bubba, JJC and whitetailfan etc. etc. will buy you another to experiment with ;D :o 8).  Oh yea the point ::) I almost forgot about it.  Cube the whole thing into 1x1 pieces.  Place it in a pan and put it in the oven at 250f.  Add more rub once it is cubed ;).  Cook it for 3-6 hours more adding your favorite sauce every hour or so.  When it becomes sticky/gooey its ready. 
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: BigSmoker on June 28, 2006, 06:37:03 PM
If this does not yield a moist brisket that everyone will ga-ga over Olds, Mallard Wacker, NSXBill, Habs, Chez Bubba, JJC and whitetailfan etc. etc. will buy you another to experiment with ;D :o 8). 
Your instructions sound so good that I am sure I won't have to worry about this ::), but I would have been more at ease if I had seen your name on the list also. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

icerat4

How do you wet age brisket?

Just another weekend with the smoker...

rhodhse

I didn't find a choice brisket, so I picked up a select and I'm going to give it a run.  I figure that I may not trim the fat as thin as recommended on the virtualbullet website, and I will use that excellent info. to separate the point from the cap. 
Otherwise, I will follow BigSmoker directions to the letter.  The brisket is 15.6 pounds.  I presume the wet aging is simply leaving it in the cyrovac package in a fridge at low temp.???  I cannot wait to try smoking a brisket, so I will press on this weekend with 4 hours of smoke, Oak and Pecan, Good Santa Maria Barbeque homemade beef rub, and wait for 185, then FTC with juice and honey for 2 hours.  Thanks for all the help.  I will post the results after the 4th.

I feel like a kid with a new toy, better yet a man with a new high end digital automatic tool of some sort that will do some elite task....Man, I Love to cook, and share, and eat....Thanks you guys...

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: icerat4 on June 29, 2006, 07:42:20 AM
How do you wet age brisket?

It been a while since I've read Old's instructions. If I'm wrong someone will correct me. Buy a brisket that is still cyrovac packaged. You will need to asked the butcher or meat cutter to check the create that the brisket was shipped in so you will know when it was packaged. From that date you determine the length of time it has been "aging" and how many more days you will need to continue to wet age it for 21 days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Oldman

QuoteA simple suggestion to all of you brisket folks. Purchase one in its original cryovac package. Age it in your refrigerator for 30 days at a temperature range of 33 F to 37 F. Monitor the temperature. That is all there is to wet aging. Next time you smoke one it will beat anything you ever had before

Note: Go 30 day if you like as long as the meat is not already 10 days old. A safe bet is 21 days.

QuoteI figure that I may not trim the fat as thin as recommended on the virtualbullet website,

I cannot recommend that you do this. Trim it and place the fat on the next higher shelf above your brisket.

For your first brisket I suggest a simple Texas style. Salt & Pepper only. 4 hours smoke. I like oak. At the four hour mark pull the brisket and place it in a foil boat. Add a couple of splashes of apple juice. Tent the boat up (closed.) Return to the smoker.  Smoke at 205 F. Once meat is 185F remove and FTC until 190F.

This is a winning simple recipe that has never failed me. In fact  on the forth of July we got a bunch of folks coming over for it.

Serving it with my Smoked Boston Style Candy-"ized" Bake Beans!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

rhodhse

QuoteI cannot recommend that you do this. Trim it and place the fat on the next higher shelf above your brisket.

For your first brisket I suggest a simple Texas style. Salt & Pepper only. 4 hours smoke. I like oak. At the four hour mark pull the brisket and place it in a foil boat. Add a couple of splashes of apple juice. Tent the boat up (closed.) Return to the smoker.  Smoke at 205 F. Once meat is 185F remove and FTC until 190F.

This is a winning simple recipe that has never failed me. In fact  on the forth of July we got a bunch of folks coming over for it.

Serving it with my Smoked Boston Style Candy-"ized" Bake Beans!

Appreciate the additional tips Olds, and the recipe  ;D