Ham jerky time

Started by tailfeathers, March 07, 2014, 02:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

Well the ham jerky supply has dwindled down to the point where something must be done. Since it looks like it's gonna be a fair chunk of time yet before I can get to the smoker, that means dehydrator time. Our SIL and daughter are coming over for supper tonight so I will conscript him to bring it inside from the garage. I usually like to give it a couple hours of maple smoke then finish it in the dehydrator, but since I can't I decided to add a couple teaspoons of Wright's liquid smoke to the marinade.
The star of the showsupporting castsliced up and in for an overnight soak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Oops the last pic didn't show up, I'll try again. More to follow, stay tuned!

tailfeathers

Into the dehydrator, start with 155F for 5 hrs

ragweed

I need to do the same, but I can't find any decent priced hams.   :(  I see you got a Kretch for only 1.99.  Around here they're darn near $7/lb, but they are very good hams so we always splurge for holidays.  I did find baby backs for 2.99 so I'll go a different direction.

tailfeathers

I buy most of my ham at Sunshine foods in Sioux Falls. They had 2 of the whole Kretsch hams and 2 whole Morrell EZ cut hams in the clearance bin for 1.99/lb. needless to say all 4 came home with me. They don't advertise them at that price go you just have to go in periodically to see what's on clearance. These were after the holidays, I'm guessing that they will have some good deals again shortly after Easter.

tailfeathers

Out of the dehydrator vac sealed and ready for the freezerit turned out really good, I was pleasantly surprised. I was a tad apprehensive about not being able to smoke it, but it's very tasty with just the addition of some liquid smoke.

WoodlawnSmoker

It looks really nice!  I'm intrigued with this, can you share your marinade recipe?

tailfeathers

I used roughly a cup each of honey, real maple syrup, teriyaki sauce and molasses. To this I add ground white pepper and cayenne pepper to taste (hers not mine). I add about a heaping tablespoon of fresh ground ginger. Stir everything up with about a cup of very hot water to get all the sticky liquids to blend together. Taste it and add more pepper or ginger if needed. When you get the flavor you like pour the mixture over your ham strips and soak for at least 12 hours. You can soak it in a tub or large bowl, or in ziplocks but be sure to mix up the meat and marinade a few times while soaking. I usually smoke the ham strips for a couple hours then finish in the dehydrator. Since I wasn't able to smoke this batch first I also added 2 tsp of liquid smoke to the marinade mixture and it turned out fine. Not quite as good as using the smoker first but better than I expected.

tailfeathers

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better.....had to stock up some more!

Saber 4