B Smoker parts

Started by BigRed, July 08, 2004, 12:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRed

To all Forum members that gave me the good advise on the BS problem. I called them today and they agreed that I got a lemon and are sending me a new temp. control so that I can keep the temp. below 250 degrees. They said it is simple to put in. We will see!. They are even going to send me a box of 48 pecan smoking discs for my troubles. Cn't beat that kind of service.
Now please, how about information on digital temp. devices. I have found one on the internet that measures both the internal temp. of the meat and a probe that measures the temp. in the smoker all in the same device This would certainly detect if the thermometer on the door is correct.Any thoughts?

BigRed

BigRED

BrentK

Hey BigRed,

I got a Mavrick ET-73 dual probe remote reading digital temp gauge.  It works great.  I bought mine at www.everythinghome.com for about $40 I think.

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

whitetailfan

BigRed,
There is a thread on this in the accessories section and you can take your pick from several hyperlinks there.
If I had to guess, I would say most of the forum members have a dual temp probe like you are looking at, and again most have opted for the remote units with pagers to alert you to alarm temps.

Myself price was an issue and I found a dirt cheap digital meat thermometer in Radio Shack here in Canada.  It works awesome for its purpose and only cost me $20cdn.  If price is not really an issue, I would opt for a dual temp unit to keep the smoker temp in check with the dial thermo for the extra money.  It will last you a long time so go for it.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Bassman

Brent,
I also have the Maverick Remote thermometer. It works great, If you can afford it the remote is the way to go.[:)]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Copper Creek

I also got the Maverick dual probe remote.  It is a fantastic little unit.  Go To: http://everythingbagel.store.yahoo.com/marewithtitr.html

I highly recommend it.[:D][:D]

Steve
Copper Creek

"Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all."

kjel

Has anyone calibrated their digital thermometer to make sure its accurate?  How did you calibrate?  W/ boiling water or ice water?  Or is there another method?

Oldman

I have posted this before. You need to make sure you can return that one from who you purchased it from. Mine did not last one month.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Cold Smoke

Kjel, just did mine yesterday. I used a glass of water with lots of ice in it- let it sit a while- should read 32F- it did. Next I boiled some water and dropped the thermometer in it- should read 212 (I think)- said 210F- close enough for me. There's probably a more scientific way of doing this- but for my purposes I think this method is fine.
I have a Polder with a single probe. I've had it for a while and it seems to work well.
One day I'll pull a wad out of the ol' Sealy Posturepedic (mattress) and get one of those high-fallutin', state-of-the-art, dual probe, remote jobbies...perhaps when the Polder does the "big sleep" thing.[;)]

Cold Smoke

BigSmoker

You can get exact instructions on checking your polder at //www.nakedwhiz.comhe shows a lot of different advice.  Your boiling point depends on elevation and other stuff.. Check it out

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

kjel

I also have a polder.  Have 2 probes actually.  I was such a dummy w/ my first one and left the timer on a hot surface.  That's why I now have a 1 timer 2 probes.  Did the ice water test and temp was at 34.  Did the boiling water test and got 212.  I figured this is close enough.  If I did have to reset it... take the batteries out and put it back in again.  Sheesh.  Thought there'd be a reset button somewhere.

nsxbill

Jeff,

Tried thenakedwhiz.com, and does not link up.  Any dashs or underlines in the address you forgot?

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

Sorry I added "the" to it.  Check this link.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#calibrate

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.