eels from The Isselmeer dam (Zuider Zee)

Started by P.Parkhurst, June 29, 2006, 09:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P.Parkhurst

hi folks ! I live in Holland and we have a great dam next to us the main speciality here is fresh eels about 14 ins long. what would you advise me on the best way to smoke them or any other ideas. please help.

manxman

Hi P.Parkhurst and welcome to the forum.

Strangely enough I picked up some smoked eel from a commercial smokehouse in the south of England recently, they were excellent. Can't offer advice from personnal experience but I do know they were brined for a short period first, a few minutes in 80% brine, dried thoroughly then cut into 4 - 6 inch lengths skin on and hot smoked in oak.

I would start off with a cabinet temperature of about 200F/95C, smoke for a couple of hours and cook to 140F/60C internal for starters. Wrap in foil for 24 - 48 hours then taste.I would just do a couple of eels pieces to start with to avoid wasting too much if the result is not as desired and use it as a baseline to make adjustments for the next smoke. (eg longer smoking period?)

Hasten to add I have never smoked eel, we do not get them around here, but I have smoked a lot of fish and offer this as a starting point. Let us know how you get on! ;D
Manxman

3rensho

Hi,

Yes, please post your experience/results.  We get eels from the Rhine here in Basel and I'd really be interested in giving them a try.  So far I've just bought them smoked and they are great.  Rick Stein's Food Hero program (BBC Prime) featured an eel smoker a bit ago and they looked amazing but there were no details unfortunately.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

iceman

P.Parkhurst, Welcome.
I've never tasted yet alone smoked eel. Please keep us posted on your results. I'm very interested in this one. :)

manxman

I'de rather hoped he would post back some results but it appears he has not been active on the forum since he first registered...... shame. Maybe he will pick up on it. It appears there are some eels around here in some of the rivers, the only eels I have ever caught are conger eels at sea.

QuoteRick Stein's Food Hero program

You a fan of Rick Stein too Tom?  :)
Manxman

3rensho

HI Manxman,

Yeah, I catch his series whenever I can - even the reruns.  His enthusiasm is infectious.

Tom

Malc

Every time I see this thread I think of the Simpsons episode where they did a Jack the Ripper story.  The police chief kept eating eel pies.  Funny stuff.  I remember thinking, "Who the @#$% would eat eel pies?"  Now I guess I know. ;)

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

manxman

Quote"Who the @#$% would eat eel pies?" 

Eel pies...... mmmmm...... reserve jugdement on that one. Quite like jellied eels though!  :D

QuoteYeah, I catch his series whenever I can - even the reruns.  His enthusiasm is infectious.

Yeah, me as well. His books are very good as well.
Manxman

iceman

Manx, can you get me the name of his book(s)? I'll keep an eye out for his show on BBC. I've been looking for Gordon Ramsey's show also but haven't seen it any more. I think it was called Kitchen Disasters or something to that effect. It was a riot!

BigSmoker

Fresh eel makes great sushi ;D.  Especially if it has been smoked first :P.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

3rensho

QuoteFresh eel makes great sushi

Indeed it does.  A bowl of unagi donburi is mighty fine eatin' too.

Tom

manxman

QuoteManx, can you get me the name of his book(s)? I'll keep an eye out for his show on BBC. I've been looking for Gordon Ramsey's show also but haven't seen it any more. I think it was called Kitchen Disasters or something to that effect. It was a riot!

Hi iceman, I will post a list sometime in the next few days. My laptop is down and has gone back to Fujitsu Siemens for repair so I have no computer at home at the moment.

Think the programme you may be referring to is Hell's Kitchen, there are both Uk and US versions both featuring Gordon Ramsey. He also does one in the UK called the F-word.  ::)
Manxman

iceman

Hells Kitchen sounds like it. I sure miss the few shows that he had. The guy is crazy but he's also a five star chef. Thanks for getting me the book titles Manx.

MWS

Iceman, I think the show you mean is called "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares". This is the one where he tries to turn around failing restaurants.

"Hells Kitchen", I think is the one where he runs a cooking school or something.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

iceman

Quote from: mws on September 27, 2006, 01:12:31 PM
Iceman, I think the show you mean is called "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares". This is the one where he tries to turn around failing restaurants.

"Hells Kitchen", I think is the one where he runs a cooking school or something.
Ahhhh..... I do think your right. (to many rums ago) :D Thanks