Smoked smelt

Started by MrSlick, March 12, 2014, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSlick

First time posting pictures...

We went smelt dipping last weekend and came home with twenty pounds.  I had the smoker running Saturday and Sunday.  First batch was 4 hours of apple starting at 135 degrees progressing to 185 degrees.  Second batch was 3 hours of maple with about the same time.  I don't care for fish but wife and coworkers gave thumbs up. 

Going in

First batch out

watchdog56

You need to deep fry them. We used to get them up on Lake Superior years ago but the run is very spotty now.

NorthShoreMN

Those look like some large smelt ! Almost as big as
The herring the commercial fishermen get up here.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

richard31

Ohh!!
Serious the first batch there you have looks like gold fish.
Yeah I feel that deep fry is the best way to cook it and make it spicy.

Saber 4

Looks like they turned out good but I never did develop a liking for smelt when I lived in Michigan years ago.

MrSlick

I really don't eat much fish but my wife loves it.  We only have a few dozen left in the freezer. 

The shad are running now and we have a salmon fishing trip planned in a few weeks so who knows what will be next!

cobra6223

They look good but I agree with northshoremn they look huge for smelt. Is there more then one variety of them?

MrSlick

I guess there are different kinds.  According to Wiki pacific smelt (Eulachon) that come up the NW rivers can be as long as 12 inches but most are in the 6-8 inch range.