help making moose jerky

Started by magnus28, March 13, 2014, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnus28

Hello All,

I've recently purchased the Bradley bs611 smoker.

I made two marinades for moose jerky - one was mesquite, the other was teriyaki.

I seasoned the smoker as per instructions, then put each batch in the smoker and smoked at 165 degrees for 6 hours, rotating the racks halfway through.
I used hickory briquettes.

I found the jerky perfect consistency, however, they were over powered with a bitter, pugnant smoky taste.
It is obvious that they got too much smoke, they were all black and had a horrible, bitter aftertaste.

I am not interested in using an oven or food dehydrator before hand.. I mostly got this smoker for making jerky.

they marinades I used were:

Mesquite
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons mesquite flavored liquid smoke concentrate( used two tablespoons of mesquite seasoning instead)
1 tablespoon ground paprika
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt

Teriyaki
2 cups Worcestershire sauce (only used 1 cup as I feel Worcestershire is a strong flavor)
1 1/2 cups teriyaki sauce
3 teaspoons liquid smoke (didn't use any liquid smoke at all)
1 cup soy sauce
4 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne powder
4 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 1/4 tablespoons red pepper flakes
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon maple syrup

any suggestions on what temp/how long, or a good teriyaki recipe for moose would be appreciated, or how long to smoke without getting over powering, over smoked jerky would be greatly appreciated!

note:
I also have apple,mesquite,alder, and maple briquettes!

thank you

Mark

tskeeter

Mark, a couple of questions.  Where was your vent damper positioned?  Did you apply smoke for the full six hours?

magnus28

the damper was about 1/2 way open..

I smoked for full 6 hrs

Saber 4

Quote from: magnus28 on March 13, 2014, 03:42:34 PM
the damper was about 1/2 way open..

I smoked for full 6 hrs

You are trying to dry the jerky so you need your damper open all the way to let the moisture escape and most people talk about smoking jerky for about 2 hours, I don't use more than 4 hours for anything I smoke in the Bradley including brisket and pork shoulder. Those changes should get you some really good jerky with those marinades on your next batch.

watchdog56

When I do jerky I keep the vent open all the way,in fact it is always open otherwise you will get the "black drops on your meat which is called black rain". Also I usually have temp set at 180 and let it dry out for 5-6 hours or until chewy. Rotate racks.

RAF128

It may take 6 hours to dry your jerky but that's too much smoke.   A couple of hours of smoke should do it, then remove the water bowl and let the unit go.   I've had some of my jerky come out as you described but leave it out for a few hours and some of that extra smoke taste will go away.

magnus28

Quote from: watchdog56 on March 14, 2014, 04:08:03 AM
When I do jerky I keep the vent open all the way,in fact it is always open otherwise you will get the "black drops on your meat which is called black rain". Also I usually have temp set at 180 and let it dry out for 5-6 hours or until chewy. Rotate racks.

Watchdog, I've been researching Temps, and a lot of people suggest that drying over 160 is actually cooking the jerky..

Also note,  I don't use cure, I figure that with the marinade I use,  and the fact I only use muscle meat, I should be fine.

watchdog56

The only thing I know is that before I had the smoker I was using our gas oven and set it to 180. Usually took 5-6 hours. Just had to check the meat before it got to crispy. Did that for 27 years or so.

When I use my smoker (no smoke just heat), I set at 180 and do it for 5-6 hours also then pull meat before it gets to crispy.
Been doing that for 4 years.

Everyone seems to like it.

I may be wrong but it works for me.

Salmonsmoker

Magnus,
If you're going to apply smoke in your Bradley, I would delete any liquid smoke or wood smoke seasoning from the recipes. They're most likely there for smoke flavor if you're drying in a dehydrator. Drying the meat concentrates the flavors, so if there's already an over-abundance of smoke it'll be even more concentrated at finish. I would try a lighter flavored wood than mesquite. That can be pretty pungent.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.