Smoke it then can it!

Started by Northern_Hunting_Mom, March 15, 2014, 10:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Hunting_Mom

I did this with about 15lb of grayling 10 years ago. A very lightly sprinkled very basic dry rub. I think it was only salt and lemon pepper. I only smoked it in a Big Chief (before my Bradley, forgive me please) for 30 minutes, skin on and down. I pulled the skin off, shredded it into smallish size chunks then immediately canned it in small jars with just water. I can't even remember how long in the pressure cooker. I do know I let it process for a bit longer than the small jar size needed to help soften any bones I missed.

For those that do not know, arctic grayling have a very delicate white meat, quite sweet but quite bony. The meat turns mushy very easily. The only way to try to keep the flesh firm when freezing is to freeze it in water in blocks. Smoking it then canning it was a stroke of genius. It didn't last long!

mustangmoe

If you liked the process but can't remember all the details check this out. Follow the guide lines and you will be fine.
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/sites/default/files/documents/pnw_450_homecanningsmokedfish.pdf

Northern_Hunting_Mom

Great article, thank you. The grayling I canned was very moist. I knew that with such a delicately flavoured fish, I better not smoke for long. I canned in very small jars. It was perfect for a snack on crackers with cheese or 2 sandwiches.