My New Smoke Generator sn # 1311015090090143

Started by Smoke This II, March 13, 2014, 06:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke This II

I am just wondering before I even take it completely out of the container, why does the unit have such sharp edges? The corners where it was punch pressed has very sharp pointed edges and the (cut-off) sheared edges are as sharp as a knife blade too. The only place I can see where anything was deburred is on a few of the vent holes. I have a high level of cooking skills, sheet metal fabrication, I take food safety pretty serious but most of all my personal safety.... this issue scares me beyond imagination . Some of these sharp edges could be used to debone a whole turkey! There is one other question I would like to ask, why is there are no instructions on how to plug it into an electrical outlet? It came with two cords, one with a male end and a female end and the other has a female end plus a 120v male plug, the smoker unit has two places to plug into and no written instructions as to what goes where. It would be nice, okay it wood be nice also if the unit came with enough sample wood pucks just to season it.

Saber 4

Sounds like you need to give them a call on the bad sheet metal, must have slipped past QC and it should have come with an instruction manual. Bradley will make things right.

KyNola

The shorter plug goes from the smoke generator to the tower. The other cord is the power cord that goes from the generator to your power outlet. 

Smoker John

Plugging instructions are in the instruction manual, if you don't have one for whatever reason there is one on their website, http://www.north-america.bradleysmoker.com/food-smokers/4-rack-digital-food-smoker/
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

KyNola

I guess we fixed that issue. ::)

You're welcome.

paradux

Just wanted to agree on the sharp edges - yes, I know there is a warning in the manual, but I sliced my finger pretty good last night trying to clean the drip tray. Couldn't those edges be rolled or blunted just a little bit?

Orion

I have trouble understanding why a product that is fraught with so many issues is so highly regarded.

You could make a pretty long list of all the issues, many straight out of the box, that people have with these things. Mine is ripe with sharp edges too. What really irks me is the puck feeder does not deposit the puck entirely onto the burn tray and they end up burning only 3/4's while still managing to ignite the edge of the next puck. It has not burnt a puck correctly from day one. Every time I use it I am throwing money down the drain in the form of poorly and un-burnt pucks. I realize there is a fix for this by grinding and re-shaping and re-aligning the various components on the feed tray however for 500 plus dollars I should not have to re-engineer the product.

Then there is the minimal guage wiring, frequently failing micro-switches, door seal issues, poor heat control and flimsy generator attach pins. If I even bump my generator slightly one side falls off the pin. What is it that people see in this smoker that makes them willing to put all the time , money and effort into them to make them function as they should out of the box? If this was any other product such as an automobile or dishwasher they would have been recalled long ago.

I'm not intending to raise any ones hackles just telling it like I and others have experienced. This forum is full of consistently the same issues on a simple product. Perhaps the QC department at Bradley would care to comment or offer some resolution.  :(
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

Divey

It concerns me a little when someone joins the forum on a certain date, rubbishes the Bradley Smoker on the same date and has not even returned to the forum from that date to have a look at replies to his post.  ???

I have a reasonably new 6 tray Bradley and the only problem I can list is the temperature variation within the oven, However, I have found that the longer you use the oven the more the temperature swings even out less.

This is of course not directed to Orion.