Has anyone tried cold smoking corned beef

Started by Idapopo3, March 16, 2014, 07:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idapopo3

I know smoking corned beef is basically pastrami. But has anyone tried cold smoking it and then throwing it in a crock pot to cook?  Will the smoke just wash off in the crock pot?  Just thinking about doing something different for St. Patty's Day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KyNola

Not trying to get all technical on you but smoking corned beef is not pastrami. Rather, it is smoked corned beef.  Pastrami is a corned beef that has had an appropriate pastrami rub applied to it and then smoked.

While I have not cold smoked corned beef there is no reason you can't provided you are careful.  As for whether the smoke will be "washed off" in a slow cooker, I'll yield to others more knowledgeable than me.

Habanero Smoker

You can cold smoke corned beef. Smoke that has adhered and penetrated the meat will still flavor the corned beef; along with some smoke that will dissolve into the liquid, adding a smokes flavor to that.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Idapopo3

Thanks for the advice.  I am going to try it.  I will let you know how it turns out.

Idapopo3

I wanted to get back to everyone.  My cold smoked corned beef turned out awesome. I placed a pepper rub over the fat side and placed garlic gloves throughout the beef.  I cold smoked it for 1 1/2 hours with Cabelas rosemary, tyme pucks.  After cold smoking I placed it inside a Dutch oven pan and baked for 3 hours at 325 covered.   I then baked it for another 45 minutes uncovered.  It tasted sooo good.  Sorry for no pics I was in a hurry to get it on the table for the family.

KyNola