Made a BUNCH of bacon.....

Started by stuper01, March 29, 2014, 09:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuper01

Good day everyone!!!!!!

I filled my Bradley last night with a few bellies.... And hit it with 2 hours of smoke, and then to a internal temp of 140.

The thing is, I have never done this much before, and it didn't seem to take the smoke as well as before....

The meat seemed to stay to wet I think....  Even with the top vent wide open.

It never got the golden "bark" that I am used to seeing...

Too much at once???

Saber 4

That's hard to answer with out a few more details such as how many pounds of belly, what temp did you have the cabinet at, was your vent open all the way to let the moisture out? Also did you air dry in the fridge to let the pellicle form before you started smoking? I'm sure our bacon experts will be along shortly to give you all the answers you need.

RedJada

x2 on what saber said? Need more info on your process... Cure?, how long, dry before smoke, smoker temp, vent status, Temp, etc...

Habanero Smoker

When you say it didn't take on smoke, are you referring to the taste or color?

When the outside of the meat is very moist, it should take on smoke flavor better, but the bacon will be lacking in color.

When you answer the questions asked, members will be able to help you avoid this problem in the future?

One other question. Are you using a large pan to replace the water bowl? If so, that will add a good deal of extra moisture in the cabinet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

stuper01

Quote from: Saber 4 on March 29, 2014, 11:23:30 AM
That's hard to answer with out a few more details such as how many pounds of belly, what temp did you have the cabinet at, was your vent open all the way to let the moisture out? Also did you air dry in the fridge to let the pellicle form before you started smoking? I'm sure our bacon experts will be along shortly to give you all the answers you need.
I bet I put 20 lbs in the smoker.
The cabinet never got higher than 140.  Vent was mostly open....
I think I need to research the air drying, as it went from being wrapped in Saran Wrap with pepper and sugar rub... To the smoker...  So no time to dry.

Looks like it took the flavour well, as I have sliced it this morning, and it smells good..

Ummm.. What is pellicle?  (Damn newbies...eh.)

Saber 4

That is most likely your issue then, there are lots of posts you can search hear on the forum that will cover everything you need to know about bacon makin and here is a link to the forum's recipe site's bacon page. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?23-Bacon-amp-Other-Cured-Meats&s=7f0095868f9d6af40bbc96fc5ef63762

Habanero Smoker

The pellicle is a chemical reaction salt has with meat proteins and sugars on the surface, and when allowed to air dry it forms a tacky surface (or skin). The pellicle is important in controlling the proper amount of smoke flavor. If the surface is too wet, the particles in the smoke vapor are deposited at a much greater rate in the same period of time, and you may over smoke your product and/or give it a bitter taste.

Drying the meat's surface prior to applying smoke also helps to create a darker color, than if you apply smoke on a very moist surface.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)