A little more bacon, this stuff seems to go fast

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, March 16, 2014, 05:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Some more maple cured belly, I can't keep this stuff in the house very long but I'm a big reason for that.  I love curing this with my neighbour's maple syrup; the new tapping season is just about to start!  12 pounds of belly, these boys took almost 7 hours, the temperature dropped today and it was windy, oh well.

I'm going to try Kutas' honey cured bacon next time, I just need to pick up some fresh honey from the farmer's market soon.

Saber 4

I'm going to have to take some out of the freezer for morning now! ;)

Tulla

seemore

mwilliams7967

Any chance of posting Kutas honey cured recipe? Can't seem to find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: mwilliams7967 on March 25, 2014, 11:05:40 PM
Any chance of posting Kutas honey cured recipe? Can't seem to find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Honey cured bacon recipe is from Kutas' book, Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing.  You could use Tenpointfive's recipe for maple cured and just substitute honey for maple syrup if you want to be safe and I'm sure it would be great.

Kutas' recipe is kind of a blend between hot and cold curing/smoking.  He uses much more Cure #1 than is normal for hot smoking but smokes/cooks it longer at lower temperatures and only takes it to an internal temperature of 127-128 F. It seems to go against what is accepted by the USDA temperature guidelines therefore I'm reluctant to post the entire recipe.

I'm going to try it, he calls it his favourite.

viper125

Looks good. But for safety i do 142 degrees when hot smoking. And use cure. I like it both ways.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

NorthShoreMN

Google sausage maker. It's a company in New York that I think kutas had something to do with in the past .
#72104 Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing Book & Making Sausage at Home DVD

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi