newbie starting this weekend, looking for advice

Started by smokemandan, March 20, 2014, 12:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokemandan

hi all,
i am brand new to this. just picked up my DBS 4 rack this week. can't wait to fire it up this weekend.
looking for advice on 1st smoke - what is an easy, no-brainer type of meat/cut for a newbie?
I don't want to take on something too finicky or easy to screw up...maybe a pork loin? or ribs? chicken? just not sure...
I know there is something about seasoning the smoker first - any advice?
(I havent even unboxed it yet, so forgive me if the manual is clear about how to season it, just havent seen it yet)
hoping i don't run into any of the issues i've read about on the forums...had a hard time deciding between OBS and DBS, finally went with DBS when it went on sale...
BTW i am up here in Canada, so outside temps are still below freezing
glad for any comments
cheers
smokemandan

manfromplaid

instructions for seasoning are in the box. make sure all the plugs are in tight, once you have it fired up and seasoned turn up the heat and check that it will make 225. keep the vent open  shelter as much as possable from the wind. pick your meat  and ask for help. its a new way of enjoying food   just give yourself extra time to get it done. welcome to the forum from alberta.

RedJada

Seasoning is a must do and its easy so make sure you do that. My first smoke were baby back ribs.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0. Pretty much fool proof. Also, lots more smoking/cooking ideas here.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

Just so you know, there is no cure for your new addiction. If you run into problems or have questions just ask. Tons of great people that will help out. And post photos, we all like photos.

Oh, and welcome from NE Ohio.

NorthShoreMN

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

smokemandan

Thanks for the help guys.
I was leaning towards ribs, thanks for the encouragement :D
unboxing tonight, reading info, and hopefully seasoning tomorrow. aiming for ribs sat nite, so planning on rub, and in fridge overnight. got the recipe for Jan's rub - sounds like a key piece of knowledge ;D
looking forward to this!

hey redjada
my wife is from North Olmsted (Cuyahoga). you anywhere near there? just curious. lol, small world

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, after you do the ribs get you a pork butt and do some pulled pork, I wasn't a big fan of pulled pork until I tasted what comes out of the Bradley.

Smoker John

Wait til you try a marathon smoke of brisket, welcome.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

smokemandan

okay, unboxed and seasoning now
liking this more and more ;D
going for pork side ribs, they were on sale at costco

smokemandan

is it normal for the temp to go above the setting? ???
I have it set at 150 for seasoning, it's been about 20 min, and the temp on the screen says 173

Smokesmore

Bradley will fluctuate about 20 degrees either direction and to be honest the temp is not exactly accurate. Try getting a oven thermometer with a rack probe. That way you can monitor the actual temp in the unit.

Make sure your top vent is wide open as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

smokemandan

ok, yes, seeing fluctuation up and down. just was thinking it may just continue rising.
vent damper "slightly open" as per seasoning instructions. should i have it fully open?

smokemandan

also, i do have a digital thermometer with a probe that i was planning on using for the meat

smokemandan

sorry to keep posting
ok, i am doing ribs, going to follow 10.5's instructions
but i have a lot of meat (6 slabs)
does 3-2-1 still apply?
do i need to go longer than 3 on the first run?
any advice?
thanks

RedJada

I would suggest rotating your racks top to bottom, back to front about 1.5 hours into the 3. But you should be ok if you don't. When you pull to wrap in foil, you should start to see the meat pull back on the bone. If not, bump the 2 to 2.5 hours and see how they look. It really depends if you want fall off the bone or want to tug a little. 10.5 has some great easy recipes for newbies. You should also look into a maverick 732 duel probe thermometer. There pretty much on the money temp wise and wireless. This is what I have http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Et-732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B004IMA718. I think there is a new 733 also.

Don't forget to post a couple photos of your first cook. and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Oh, tell your wife. Kent here.

CoreyMac

Quote from: smokemandan on March 21, 2014, 03:17:25 PM
sorry to keep posting
ok, i am doing ribs, going to follow 10.5's instructions
but i have a lot of meat (6 slabs)
does 3-2-1 still apply?
do i need to go longer than 3 on the first run?
any advice?
thanks

I found the 321 method left you with ribs a little dry, but I like real moist ribs. its really a personal preference. You really have to do them as per the recipe then modify as you go. More moist ribs need a little more time in the foil. i'm more of a 3 3 1 guy myself. But it really depends on the rib also, fat amount. Baby back are pretty lean, and can get dry fast.  Side ribs are really easy, good fat so they stay moist.

Its all fun and games, play with it. ;D

Corey