venison jerky recipes wanted!

Started by kurtisbblake, March 21, 2014, 10:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurtisbblake

hey fellow smokers! I'm making some venison jerky tomorrow, and i want all the recipes you have. it will be using ground venison trimmings laid on screens with a jerky gun. I'm using hi mountain black pepper and garlic seasoning. what temps, smoke flavors, and times are you guys running? lay em out here boys and girls!

MoHuka

Kurt,

You are going to get several answers but here is mine..I have been told that my Jerky is pretty good

I mix the meat and seasoning/cure the day before and seal it up and in the fridge overnight.  I shoot it on Bradley racks with fog mats...10 pounds of meat will fill up my 6-rack with 4 extra inverted racks.  I like a solid smoke taste so use Hickory, Mesquite or Oak.  I have a PID so start mine off at 120 for an hour then up to 130 while I roll smoke for 2 hours, then up to 140 for an hour and then 160 until done...after 2 hours at 160 I take them in the house and put into the dehydrator.  During this process you need to rotate the racks top to bottom and front to back every hour or so

The jerky is done when you can bend it and see what looks like fiber.  If no fiber, not done..if snaps..too done.  I find it takes 7 to 9 hours to complete the job.  You will find yourself culling them as some will get done sooner than others.  I drop them in a brown grocery bag which will soak up some of the surface oil.  You can also blot with a paper towel.  I then vacuum seal and freeze

You can finish in the smoker without problem..just remember you are drying the meat..not cooking it

Good Luck..you are hearing from me first as I am in Jeddah, KSA and several hours ahead of the real world..
MoSmoker

Shawny

I used the same Hi mountain seasoning with venison whole muscle. Here is my link. use the temps 10.5 said and you will do well. Hope that helps.http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=34431.msg399929#msg399929

viper125

Well no Big secret. Use deer in place of beef in any recipe. No reason to change any thing.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.