First BS611 use...and a possible problem (??)

Started by joaxe, March 23, 2014, 06:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joaxe

Bradley Forum Members,

I finally put together my BS611 smoker, went through the seasoning process (I only bought the thing 8 months ago - I've just been REAL busy) and noticed a potential problem that I thought I would run past the folks here.

I noticed that the hickory bisquettes aren't burning all of the way through before being ejected into the water pan.  The bisquettes still show unburned hickory.  It's almost like they are getting 1/2 used.  :(

I pre-heated the Smoke Generator as per the manual for more than 20 minutes (closer to 30 minutes) so that shouldn't have been a problem.  Then, I switched on the heat and advanced bisquettes to the burner using the advance button.  I only loaded 3 bisquettes because I used 3 "pucks" on top.  Granted, I am only seasoning the smoker for use later this week but I am concerned that I'll be going through bisquettes more than I should.

The "Troubleshooting" section in the manual stated to check that the smoker is using a dedicated circuit.  However, i had it plugged into one of the 25' orange outdoor extension cords going to an outlet/circuit that was not being used by anything else (including lights).

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Joe
"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"

Saber 4

The extension cord could be an issue if it's not at least a 12ga wire, check your connections if they are not fully seated you may not be getting all the heat the element can put out and the colder the tower the less burn you will get for each puck. These are the first things that come to mind, other's will have additional suggestions if this doesn't help.

TNRockyraccoon

I've noticed I will get one incomplete puck when I advance a fresh puck directly onto the burner.

I've eliminated it by advancing the first puck next to the burner and letting it sit one cycle before it's pushed onto the burner.

I think it may start to smoke a little when it's in the on deck circle, then it will fully burn once it's on the burner. All of the following pucks will also sit one cycle next to the burner before being pushed onto it. All of my pucks will be smoked completely.

Maybe this will help.

joaxe

Saber 4 and TNRockyraccoon,

I am going outside to put away the smoker for tonight.  I'll check the gauge of wire in the extension cord and if all of the connections are tight.  I am also going to inspect the bisquettes to see how far "in" they burned.  I may try seasoning again later this week.

Thaanks for the input and will still welcome any other suggestions from the forum peeps.  ;D

Joe
"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"

Saber 4

Quote from: joaxe on March 23, 2014, 06:34:32 PM
Saber 4 and TNRockyraccoon,

I am going outside to put away the smoker for tonight.  I'll check the gauge of wire in the extension cord and if all of the connections are tight.  I am also going to inspect the bisquettes to see how far "in" they burned.  I may try seasoning again later this week.

Thaanks for the input and will still welcome any other suggestions from the forum peeps.  ;D

Joe

Keep us posted, I'm assuming you had the element on and set for around 220-230 to season it.

Habanero Smoker

One thing I've notice is that you didn't turn on the cabinet heat until you starting smoking. The cabinet temperature helps the bisquettes to burn more completely; preheat the cabinet also while you are preheating the bisquettes burner. The higher the temperature you cook at the more complete the bisquettes will burn. My bisquettes generally will burn completely to a char, and still hold together, then occasionally only the middle will not burn, and infrequently the bottom half will only burn. Those changes may have been caused by ambient conditions, or due to the cabinet temperature. I recall at one point, that Bradley posted they do change the compression of the bisquettes. It wasn't clear if this was done occasionally or just a one time adjustment. If the bisquettes were compressed under more pressure, they will burn slower. You will also find that some woods burn better than others.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

joaxe

QuoteKeep us posted, I'm assuming you had the element on and set for around 220-230 to season it.

Nope...as per the manual, I had the cabinet/tower set to 150 degrees F and started the smoke process (well, the bisquettes started burning before the cabinet reached full seasoning temp. so I played with the temp. dial and the position of the damper on top of the cabinet to get the internal temp. just right).

Anyway...I might be good.  Last night, I dumped the water that was in the bowl and retrieved the spent bisquettes.  They all looked the same on closer inspection.  The bottom, sides and about 1/8" - 1/4" on the top (from the sides toward the center) were charred.  I broke them open and saw that they were black inside.  The only part of the bisquette that still looked "new" was the very top (extending about 1/8" down into the bisquette).

The 25" orange extension cord is 12 ga. wire. and the circuit had no other powered devices on it.

Habanero, I will try a 2nd seasoning process and heat the cabinet along with pre-heating the burner in the Smoke Generator.  I think you are correct, though.  The outside temp was probably around 30 degrees F so that might have had something to do with it, too.  There was also some wind blowing on the cabinet and from what I've read, that seems to affect the internal temp. as well.

I will try the 2nd process either this evening or tomorrow after work and keep you peeps posted.  ;D

BTW...those aluminum "pucks" work great, too!

Thanks again,

Joe
"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"

Habanero Smoker

You probably don't need to season it again. You are good to go for smoking/cooking your foods. The main reason to season is to burn off the residual manufacturing oils that coat the inside of the cabinet, which should have occurred when you seasoned it at 150°F. As you continue to smoke foods, the walls of your cabinet will continue to buildup additional layers of smoke residue.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

joaxe

Thanks, Habanero!

I'm going to try the 1st smoke this weekend.

I am planning to do some ground venison snack sticks (no casing) shot from a jerky cannon onto drying trays/screens.  I am going to be using Cabela's Smokehouse "Sweet and Hot" jerky seasoning.  I was researching how to do this.  There are many methods that are getting my head to spin...

I was thinking of placing the sticks in the BS611 for an hour or 2 with smoke then finishing them up (drying them) in the oven.  Does anyone have a foolproof (yes, I am a fool...) method and/or should I be doing these completely in the Bradley?

Need some expert help, my peeps!

(Let me know if I should start a new thread on this, too)

Thanks in advance,

"Soon to be Smokin" Joe
"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"

Saber 4

You'll probably get some good answers here, but a new thread will get all the sausage experts involved in helping you with your plan.

joaxe

Thanks, Saber 4!  New thread started...

Joe
"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"