Cold Smoke Adapter

Started by BlackBark, March 11, 2014, 09:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackBark

I need to get one of these for a bacon smoke this coming weekend. I have read numerous complaints about the hose. Has this been fixed or would just careful hookup be sufficient without anything to worry about?

Gafala

I have had mine for almost a year and have had no problems with it.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

BlackBark

That's good to hear. Thanks

Jkwellborn

I messed mine up the second time I used it. I had to collapse it some to put it up after the first use. If you get one, be real careful when you pull it out. And don't collapse it back.

Dano

I second that. I just hang mine up now because collapsing it is too sketchy. Best shape it the way you need it and leave it. If it rips use duct tape or buy some flexible dryer vent and detatch the clamps to save the ends and fasten the new vent pipe, worst case scenario. 
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

Jim O

I made my own. Wooden box,flexible dryer vent tubing and
a 90 degree elbow. Works great !
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

BlackBark

Quote from: Jkwellborn on March 12, 2014, 07:45:45 PM
I messed mine up the second time I used it. I had to collapse it some to put it up after the first use. If you get one, be real careful when you pull it out. And don't collapse it back.

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. It is being delivered today. It may already be at home, but won't know until I get off work.

CoreyMac

I had the same problem with my cold smoke adapter. Hose was very flimsy and it failed pretty quick Big issue is the hose is that Bradley uses isn't the same as any dryer ducting. I just went to the local home center and got the closest dryer duct pipe, as well as some of the aluminum tape the HVAC guys use around plenums. Just slit the new duct a bit to fit over the spigot of the smoker and smoke box, then use the aluminum tape to fill in the gaps.

It works well but I leave my cold smoke adapter on year around and never remove it.

Corey

BlackBark

So far so good. Hookup was a breeze. Its been running for about 30 minutes with nothing in the cabinet. It is 39 degrees here in Kentucky and the cabinet temp is 60 degrees. My Taylor probe reads 59, but it is reads 1 degree cool.

BlackBark

There is zero smoke leakage which I was concerned about before I got it. I think it was $80 well spent.

Jkwellborn

I liked mine. I tried to use a dryer vent, but there's about .25"-.5" difference. The vent I have is too small. It's 4".

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Jkwellborn on March 16, 2014, 09:01:55 PM
I liked mine. I tried to use a dryer vent, but there's about .25"-.5" difference. The vent I have is too small. It's 4".

If you don't use the end plates that are attached to each end of the hose, the 4" hose will fit over the lip on top of the box. It is a very small lip, so you will need a hose clamp to keep it in place. The other end will just fit through the generator opening in the cabinet.

If you want to replace the house, you will need a 5" hose which is not commonly found in local hardware stores. If you search the Home Depot site, you should be able to find a 5" hose.

This site has hoses that will fit, but much more expensive.
Flex Hose Ducting

The R-4 ECONO-PLUS is the only one labeled FDA approved, but at the temperatures you will be using all should be good to use. They do have a minimum order. Depending on the hose you order it could be from 10' to 50', and they sell in 5' increments.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

thefuzzman

Quote from: Jim O on March 13, 2014, 08:44:30 AM
I made my own. Wooden box,flexible dryer vent tubing and
a 90 degree elbow. Works great !
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, the wife SERIOUSLY wants me to smoke some cheese.  You wouldn't happen to want to give up some specs on your homemade rig, would ya?  Thanks Jim.

Salmonsmoker

BlackBark,
I've seen complaints here on the forum periodically about the "chintzy" hose that comes with the kit, and it's an unfair complaint IMHO. It's only requirement is to transfer smoke from the smoke box to the smoking tower. The "flex" gives you the flexibility to put your smoke box anywhere within the range of the pipe's length.(try that with rigid piping for set-up time) :(  The thinness of the material helps provide an easy heat transfer to help keep your "cold smoke" cold. If you crush it accidentally and can't un-collapse it so it'll work, (it doesn't have to be perfectly round) you can replace it for the cost of a couple of latte's. If you can't find locally available 5" pipe, a 5"x4" reducer on each end and a length of 4" flex pipe between puts you back in business. The 4" dia. is plenty big to transfer the smoke.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Jkwellborn

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 17, 2014, 02:38:20 AM
Quote from: Jkwellborn on March 16, 2014, 09:01:55 PM

If you don't use the end plates that are attached to each end of the hose, the 4" hose will fit over the lip on top of the box. It is a very small lip, so you will need a hose clamp to keep it in place. The other end will just fit through the generator opening in the cabinet.

If you want to replace the house, you will need a 5" hose which is not commonly found in local hardware stores. If you search the Home Depot site, you should be able to find a 5" hose.

I'd rather use the ends of the thing. I thought about getting some duct from my step dad and hard piping it. Or try to find a reducer as mentioned.

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on March 21, 2014, 04:10:10 PM
BlackBark,
I've seen complaints here on the forum periodically about the "chintzy" hose that comes with the kit, and it's an unfair complaint IMHO.

The biggest complaint I've seen and the complaint I have with the hose isn't the thinness or flexibility. It's the way it's pressed together. People have broken them on the first use. I don't feel like for $75 I should have to baby something if I need to put it up. They could have used the same material and lapped it more and most likely solved most of the complaint.