I'm Confused!

Started by David6340, July 09, 2004, 12:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">One question; was the skin crisp? Thanks again for your help<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Best I remember it was. Normally we take the chicken and chop it up very very fine. Then added to our egg salad. Allow it to sit over night and then eat away. Or we make a spread with it. We also make a spread out of fish.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I hope I didn't cause a stink... I do love the ceramic for steaks <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

At the moment I use the Green Egg for most steaks; however, if it is very high quality aged beef I rather use my radiant grill.  

Nope you caused no stink as fas as I'm concerned. [:D]

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Fuzzybear

Olds:

I'm curious...what is the purpose of the direct wood grill?  See, I'm thinking I want all kinds of experiences up there in Washington - BS/Egg/Gas/Charcoal/wood/pit.....

THanks

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

In an egg style ceramic you will use some sort of charcole...brick or plank. The high flames needed to char out oak wood burn off the seal, and if too hot can crack the inside pieces of the cermaic grill.  Next the biggest item and most important in my opinion is you do not have the distant needed between the oak char and grill top to take a 2 inch thick steak and cook it correctly. It will cook to fast in an egg style cooker.  If you cut back on the amount of oak char it will not sear correctly and that once in a life time flavor is just not there. Even worse in trying to correct this problem you close the lid and stew the steak. High quality cooking over oak requires some char and still some wood-flaming--not flare up flame from drippings. There just is not enough space in an egg style for this to happen.

I can see without a doubt that once I get this unit built the egg will not be used as much unless I want to use charcol.

Fuzzybear

Olds:
Keep me in the loop as to how your project goes...I'm thinking after reading your last post, I may not wind up with the egg.....

Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

Sure Fuzzybear. However, it will be this fall before I do. I just put in a 55 head watering sytem and auto feeder for the yard and my next project is a water garden/ pond with a  surrounding bog.

BigSmoker

IMHO me thinks Olds has an old egg.  I must say I have enjoyed my egg very much... That said I fired up a new Primo Oval today and found the oval to be far superior to the egg.  The oval has an optional divided firebox and will cook indirect better than the egg.  The oval has a 1 pc. firebox that is warranted for life against cracking.  The shipping and parts are free if it ever does crack.  You can raise the 2pc grill higher(it has legs) than the egg and even add another grill on top of that grill for an even higher grill surface.  With a pizza stone you can bake the best pizza, bread and pretzels imaginable.  Yall just let me know when your going to be in jawja and I'll be glad to fix you a steak(maybe cold smoked in the Bradley) that will make your mouth water.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Fuzzybear

Cool Olds, you can start a new "unrelated Bradley" thread![8D]

Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

Umm interesting... The unit I have I was told was made from the same stuff that is the skin of the space suttle.

Next, looking at this picture I see where the seal on the Primo Oval if subject to direct fire will burn with the best of them.  See picture:

The upper racks are nice, but there is not enough depth to it to burn oak wood to a semi char without damage to the unit.

The Primo Oval is a nice unit, but I really don't see where it would ever come out over a direct wood burning unit for wood-grilling.

Perhaps you can take some pictures of your unit loaded with wood above the top as you char it down. It will be interesting to see if it burns up that felt and/ or cracks the insides.

I bet after the second or third time of a real hot burn it cracks that unit's guts.  I stand behind the wood burning grill idea.

Again the Primo is a nice unit, but I believe you missed my point totally here.
Olds

BigSmoker

Olds,  
Yes I think we were going in two different directions.  The ceramic units come with felt seals but most people replace them with a new ceramic tape or rutland fiberglass stove gasket after they burn up.  Rutland says not to use their product because of food/fiberglass contact but I know lots who have.  The newer high temp ceramic tape stuff will be the way to go for me.  I talked to the owner at Primo and he told me to try your method and see what happens.  He told me he bets it won't crack and if it does its has a lifetime warranty and he'll give me a new one.  Right now I only have an oval at work so It'll be a while before I have the opportunity to test your theory.  I do find your idea of the wood cooker/smoker intriguing.  I would like to know how hot this fire burns and how long before you can cook on it.  I make the circle on several forums daily and I'm sure some of the other folks I correspond with would be interested in this type cooker and how it works.  Thanks for your insight as I love to learn about smoking/BBQ and new equipment.

Jeff

Oldman

Jeff,

Generally the wood takes at least a good hour to burn down if not more. I really agree the manufacture of your grill:
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Rutland says not to use their product because of food/fiberglass contact <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> In my field of work I would dig a hole to cook on before I uses fiberglass seals.

The one thing about the egg it has never crack on the body only the inside parts. Yours looks like their inside parts are metal. In fact I've  now got egg on my face. Your unit looks the better of the two now that I review it.

Next if try the hard wood charred to coals. I know it will eat your seal. Does this mean your unit will not work...Of course not. It means you will be replacing the seal.

Please allow me to ask if you have ever cooked over an open pit with wood? If so you know the kind of temp that crack blocks and melt things. If I had your unit I would keep it. I just would not burn down to char hard woods to cook on with it.  Plus the step up levels that unit has does not impress me....sorry. To bad we don't live in the same town. We could do some grilling together....of course I don't do dishes unless my wife tells me to....LOL! How about you?

The Green Egg has replacement also...but then I have better things to do then drive 40 miles to do that....I have better things to do like grill a steak, or using the BS for sauage.

Talk with ya soon!

Olds

BigSmoker

Olds,
As long as i've been BBQ'ing my "Smoking" has been limited to a Brinkman water smoker.  I've got to get rid of it now because since I got my BS it's never been used since.  I have only cooked on an open pit a couple of times but I do remember the heat that came out of that thing.  Where i live in GA. would probally need a backhoe to did a pit because of all the clay LOL.  One nice thing about Primo is they have your replacement parts shipped to your home.  No driving.  Anyway I have got to try some of this homemade sausage it sounds great.  Me do the dishes?  Thanks for all the info it will help me in my business as well as in my personal grilling/smokin'

Jeff