Digital Thermometer

Started by Oldman, July 01, 2006, 03:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Well as the 4th is getting closer I went to check out everything. Let's see... smoker--yep. Racks...yep. Circulation fan running... yep. Generaltor working... yep. Heating element working... yep, but Lo and behold no Digital Thermometer to be found. I got a feeling *cough* someone in my family moved it when we were bring in Mother's stuff into the garage.

So after going to a ton of places I said what the heck... do it the old fashion way by feeling the smoke. As I was leaving the mall walking though Sears what do my eye see but Weber Style Digital Thermometers. 

They are wireless and batteries included only $29.95! I picked up two as I will be doing two brisket points.

Now the reason I'm posting about these units is unlike units I've had in the past these are just to easy to use. Plus they are in sync with each sending unit and do not read the other's sending unit. Max temp for the unit is 250F and the max temp for cooking before the alarm goes off is 180F--setting is on fish. However, touch any button and the alarm turns off and you can continue your cook to the 185F before you FTC the brisket.  Also it tells you when to change batteries, when you lose signal and has a power on / off button which is something the Bradley unit does not have. Oh ya one more thing. Unlike the redicheck unit I had this one reads a good 60 feet away through the walls and a steel door.

So if you are looking for a simple basic wireless thermometer I suggest you might take a look at this unit. Plus it is a neat looking unit. The sender looks like it came from outer space--a space ship. For those here who have never used one of these units there are two temps displayed. The target temp and the current meat temp..

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

TomG

Olds, I've used the same unit for 2 years and it's functioned flawlessly.

BigSmoker

Was at the oulet mall yesterday.  I always hit the kitchen stores.  The wife and I were in Williams ans Sanoma and I saw some digital thermometers so I checked them out.  Original price was 36.00 bucks on sale for 9.99 :o :o :o.  I bought 4 ;D.  The thing I liked about them is they have 2 probes for product temp.  You could use them on a turkey for example 1 probe in the breast meat and one in the thigh 8).  No remote thing like the 1 Olds bought but a bargain I couldn't pass up ;).   
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

Quotebut a bargain I couldn't pass up .   

Ya I guess....  ;D

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Update on the Weber Style Digital Thermometers. First I got two different paper of information with both units.

It turns out the highest it will read on the display is 199. Well this created a small problem as I want to use them to read the box at 205F. What I did was switch it from Fahrenheit to Celisus and just used the converter on the recipe site to find my target temp.  ;D

Next it looks like it will tell the temp up to 480 per the information.

BTW it is 10 pm and my box hit 340 F~~! I don't think my high limit works....LOL~