Kind of a cold smoke fail

Started by waycoolcat, March 22, 2014, 05:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waycoolcat

Today has two firsts for me. I joined this forum and used my digital 4 rack for the first time. I really wanted to make a cold smoke salmon. I used the recipe from Michael Ruhlman's Charcuterie book. I figured that the ambient temperature in central PA this morning of 46 would allow me to accomplish that. I put some ice in a bowl as I read in the forums and hung a Polder kitchen probe though the vent to monitor temperature. To my surprise the the temperature went to and stayed at about 137 F. It still had a great taste but was flakey like baked fish. I guess I need to get a cold smoker attachment.
I want to be a better carnivore!

Saber 4

Welcome from down in Texas, I'll leave your salmon dilemma to the salmon experts.

beefmann

welcome aboard, the salmon experts will be along,

Also may  want to  consider gettign an  cold  smoker box from bradley  which will  help in lowering the   temp

Quarlow

Here is a link to a post of mine about a cold smoker I copied from one of our British members. It is a temporary cold smoker but it works great. In fact I am still using the same one cause I just haven't had time to put the parts I have collected for a more permanent one.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3263.msg127846#msg127846
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pokermeister

On a cold smoke, I only have the puck burner on , and turn off the back element. Hope this helps.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Habanero Smoker

The cold smoker adapter Quarlow linked you to works very well to keep the cabinet temperatures down. Since you have the digital, you will also need to order or make a Bypass Plug for your generator to work when it is detached from the cabinet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Quarlow

Aah, I was going to mention that Habs but I forgot.
You can keep your temps down also by putting a pan of ice in the smoker.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

waycoolcat

Thanks for the advice. I'm scanning the forum now for home builds of the cold smoke adapter box.
I want to be a better carnivore!

hutcho

I use a frozen liter bottle or 2 to help keep temps down.  Works good so far.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Quarlow

One member used a mailbox for his. I acquire a big Hills bros. coffee can that I am going to use. I should look pretty cool when done.

OBS
BBQ