Cold smoking steaks like sirlion/rump/fillet

Started by Boycey, April 03, 2014, 04:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Has anyone tried cold smoking 6 to 8oz steaks like rump/fillet or sirlion, can it be done? I just love the idea of tasting the smoke through a lovely bit of steak from a farm butcher.

KyNola

While I haven't cold smoked steaks I have cold smoked 1 inch thick pork chops many times.  Works fine.  Because I am cold smoking I take the chops directly from the refrigerator to the cold smoker.  No letting them sit on the counter to come to room temp.

Boycey

Wildcat

Although I prefer to hot grill steaks over either wood or charcoal (or both), I have cold smoked NY strips. I place in smoker when they are barely thawed, cold smoke with ice in the bowl for 20 to 40 minutes (depending on how much they warm up (safety issue)), and then cling wrap and into refrigerator until next evening. I only use this method when I want wood flavored steaks on a day that it is scheduled to rain. The Bradley is great for low and slow but generally some meats are simply better if prepared at higher temps.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

I totally agree with WC's method with the exception that I will go around an hour in the smoke and then wrap in plastic wrap overnight or vac seal and into the freezer for future use.

tailfeathers

I also have cold smoked steak (porterhouse) for an hour with hickory, then wrapped, refrigerated and grilled on a Weber over charcoal the next day. This may sound like heresy on a forum such as this, but I actually think I prefer the flavor of steaks that have NOT been cold smoked. I'll certainly try it again some time, but a good steak grilled rare to medium rare over very hot coals doesn't require much beyond salt and pepper in my opinion.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

ragweed

When NYs are on sale, (which isn't often enough) I buy a bunch, cold smoke, wrap in plastic then freeze.  If the sales are timely, I always have smoked steaks ready to grill.