Need confirmation about indoor smoking

Started by Boycey, March 28, 2014, 01:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Hi All.

I have a problem as the Bradley website contradicts itself.
I have a Bradley 6 rack smoker and the manual/manufacture guidelines say not for indoor use, but under the FAQ - frequently asked questions it says although it is for outdoor use the Bradley smoker can be used indoors as long as it has adequate ventilation. I work in a commercial kitchen and have a commercial hood with extraction there doesn't seem to be any problem with smoke it goes straight out the flu. So my question is does anyone know if there is a way around of proving from a safety point of view that it is ok to do that and secondly that is it harmful to smoke for 4 hours twice a week
Using the Bradley briquettes, on the side of the box it says 99.98 % hardwood and 0.02% collagen hydrolised.

Cheers.

WoodlawnSmoker

Interesting question.  I am a Certified Safety Professional and have worked in commercial kitchens in a past working life, but I must say I've never investigated this situation.  Without seeing your setup, let me have a stab at it.

Your extraction hood is the key here, is there sufficient draw to capture all the smoke, especially when you need to open the door while smoking?  You may have to extend the hood to ensure the smoke rolling out the door is contained.

Does your exhaust hood have fire protection such as a sprinkler or dry chemical, the code will demand this?

Thermal heat or electrical safety shouldn't be an issue if wired properly.

If I understand your question, you are asking if exposure to the smoke will present an inhalation hazard.  If your exhaust hood is doing it's job, exposure would be minimal.  The only way to "prove" minimal exposure would be to have someone conduct air sampling to determine concentration levels.  I have conducted all manners of air sampling over the years and feel confident saying that 2 X 4 hours per week would show very small exposure, but of course I'm not there so take that comment with caution.

The only other thing I can think of is that your hood will need a filtration system before the smoke enters the ductwork.  Over time, the ductwork will develop a coating of tar unless filtered.  If you have a commercial kitchen you are familiar with the types of filters available, clean them regularly.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I will respond if I think of other issues.  Good luck.

Saber 4

Woodlawn's got you on the right track, the only thing I can add is that I have seen Bradley's under commercial hoods on many different shows on Food Network.

Toker

I smoke Inside my kitchen all year long. Never had any trouble at all.

Habanero Smoker

I took a food enthusiast class on Grilling and Smoke/Roasting at the Culinary Institute of America. It was raining the day of the class so they brought the Bradley indoors and placed near the kitchen hood and it drew the smoke out without problem. They even brought in one of the 18" Weber Kettles. :) That area also had a large indoor commercial grill setup, so I don't know if their exhaust system had any filters.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ragweed

I hate to bring this up, but there have been posts of grease fires in Bradley smokers.  So "be a good scout" and be prepared.

Toker

I forgot to say that i have a turbo sheild above the V tray to block the fat dripping into the element.

Boycey

Wood lawn that's great thank you so much, thanks to you others too. I am in the kitchen for 12 plus hours until my meat is done so in there if anything happens to the smoker in an unfortunate event.