Rib rub question

Started by stevo133080, April 02, 2014, 03:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo133080

I am throwing some baby back ribs together to smoke on the weekend.  I have read in a few places where they rub their ribs with mustard before applying the spice rub.  I have heard it makes it taste great,  but I was wondering if when the ribs are done,  if they have a mustard taste to them at all?  I dont mind mustard,  but my wife cant stomach even the smell of it,  so im not sure if I want to ruin her dinner for her.  Ive heard both ways that you lose the mustard taste when cooking,  but then ive heard of people using it because they are able to taste it and like the taste.   Is it really even necessary>  I will be doing the 3-2-1 method with hickory,  and wrapping in foil with apple juice.  I would like to give it a try,  but not if it tastes like mustard when done.

tskeeter

Stevo, I don't bother with the mustard.  I haven't tried mustard on ribs, but I have on pulled pork.  I couldn't taste any mustard and using mustard didn't, according to my taste buds, seem to amp up the flavor of Jan's Rub I used on the pulled pork, so I haven't bothered with mustard since.

When I do baby back ribs, I apply a heavy coat of rub to both sides of the ribs, then refrigerate for at least six hours to marinate the ribs in the rub.  I've smoked the ribs after only four hours of marinating, and I didn't think the ribs carried the flavor of the rub nearly as well as ribs that were marinated longer. 

Ka Honu

CYM (cheap yellow mustard) doesn't leave any taste but it does help the rub adhere and, depending on who you listen to, may form a "base" for the bark and/or act as a retardant against drying out. If you don't like the thought of mustard, try olive oil.

stevo133080

Thanks for the info guys.  I always like to give new things a try,  but then I haven't made a batch of ribs yet that have turned out bad....  Why mess with a good thing.  Maybe this time I will try doing half in mustard and the other half in olive oil to see what the difference is.  I've never had a problem with them drying out after I put them in with the apple juice

Habanero Smoker

When I'm making sticky ribs, I always apply a thin coat of French's Honey Mustard before applying the rub, and in this case the brand name is important. French's Honey Mustard, doesn't taste like your CYM. You can't taste the "mustard", but it adds an additional layer of flavor. With ribs, there is a lot more surface to mass, so you will pick up some flavor. 

Also it is handy in helping the rub stick to the meat, especially if you have a low salt rub. As Ka Honu mentioned, an oil such as peanut or olive oil, or flavorless oils such as canola, will help the rub stick. On my butts I use an oil, not mustard.

After applying the rub, and as soon as the ribs get moist, generally within 45 minutes, they go in the cooker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)