Cold smoking joints of meat

Started by Boycey, March 24, 2014, 02:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Hey fellow smokers.

Not sure if this a stilly question, but I can't find any information otherwise!

Can you cold smoke joints of meat  I.e brisket, pork, lamb etc and then cook it at a later date, so if i cold smoke it and sell it for people to cook at home?

If you can do the above, if you we're to freeze the joint would it loose flavour.

Thanks in advance.

Wildcat

Yes you can cold smoke and then cook another day. Just need to make sure you handle the food properly and do not let it sit in the danger zone for too long. There are others on here that can give you more information better than I.

I doubt if you would loose flavor due to freezing.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Boycey

Thanks Wild cat.

I would just be using the Smoke chamber - as in leaving the oven off and smoking for 4 hours.
What's your thoughts.

Cheers

Wildcat

I would recommend having the meat as cold as possible - barely unfrozen. Put Ice in the bowl (assuming you are smoking with a Bradley). 4 hours may be too long out of fridge since it will not be cooked at this stage.

I am by no means an expert in this area. Check food safety on the Recipe Site. A link is at the bottom of my post.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Boycey

Ok thanks. I do have a Bradley, it would be worth investing in a bradley cold smoke generator that way there shouldn't be any heat directly in the smoker an hypertetically speaking it will only be room temperature at most in the Bradley.

tailfeathers

Boycey, meat shouldn't be exposed to "room temperature" conditions for extended periods of time. I highly recommend that you go to the "time tested and proven recipes" site at susanminor.org and read the food hygiene and safety topics there. I think that everyone who gets into this hobby should read this but especially if you intend to sell people meat that you have smoked the last thing you need is to worry about food poisoning. Good luck, and happy smoking! And by the way, you did the right thing by asking the question. I've found this forum to be a wealth of information, and every time I have had a question there has always been someone to come along and answer it, so ask away!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

KyNola

I'm with tailfeathers.  As soon as you said "sell it for people to cook at home" my initial reaction was "Aw he!! no".  You are asking for trouble. 

There are folks who will come along to advise you better than me.  I will yield to their knowledge.

Boycey

That's cool, thank you all for your help, I will look up some more info.
Boycey