insta cure # 1 and prague powder # 1 question

Started by beefmann, April 04, 2014, 06:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefmann

Alright all I think i  know the answer but want to be  sure.

with  insta cute  # 1 and prague powder # 1 seem to have  the same ingredients,,  salt and  sodium nitrite or nitrate

question is:

in a   liquid  cure  using a  gallon of water, is the  ratio of  insta cute #1 or  prage powder going to be the  same?

if like i think there  the  same  thing  under a  different name ... it  would be the  same

Thanks in advance
Beef

NePaSmoKer

This may help.

Prague Powder #1
Also called Insta-Cure and Modern Cure. Cures are used to prevent meats from spoiling when being cooked or smoked at low temperatures (under 200 degrees F). This cure is 1 part sodium nitrite (6.25%) and 16 parts salt (93.75%) and are combined and crystallized to assure even distribution. As the meat temperate rises during processing, the sodium nitrite changes to nitric oxide and starts to 'gas out' at about 130 degrees F. After the smoking /cooking process is complete only about 10-20% of the original nitrite remains. As the product is stored and later reheated for consumption, the decline of nitrite continues. 4 ounces of Prague powder #1 is required to cure 100 lbs of meat. A more typical measurement for home use is 1 level tsp per 5 lbs of meat. Mix with cold water, then mix into meat like you would mix seasonings into meat.
When using a cure in a brine solution, follow a recipe.

beefmann

that  is what i was thinking,,,  thanks  nepa

rajzer

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 04, 2014, 06:50:26 AM
This may help.

Prague Powder #1
Also called Insta-Cure and Modern Cure. Cures are used to prevent meats from spoiling when being cooked or smoked at low temperatures (under 200 degrees F). This cure is 1 part sodium nitrite (6.25%) and 16 parts salt (93.75%) and are combined and crystallized to assure even distribution. As the meat temperate rises during processing, the sodium nitrite changes to nitric oxide and starts to 'gas out' at about 130 degrees F. After the smoking /cooking process is complete only about 10-20% of the original nitrite remains. As the product is stored and later reheated for consumption, the decline of nitrite continues. 4 ounces of Prague powder #1 is required to cure 100 lbs of meat. A more typical measurement for home use is 1 level tsp per 5 lbs of meat. Mix with cold water, then mix into meat like you would mix seasonings into meat.
When using a cure in a brine solution, follow a recipe.

Actually it's 15 parts salt.