Smoking For Later Consumption

Started by cptnmrvl, April 04, 2014, 09:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cptnmrvl

I'm going to host a party this summer for about 30 to 40 people and want to smoke brisket (flats and points fro burnt ends), pork butt (for pulled pork) and chicken breasts and was wondering the best way to do this at least a week ahead of time.  Is that possible?  If so, what would be the best approach?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'll be using the 6 shelf BDS.

KyNola

Certainly you can.  Smoke whatever and then vac seal and freeze.  You can simply thaw and warm whatever and be good to go.  With pork butt, I would pull it before vac sealing and freezing.  With the brisket and chicken breasts, I would leave them whole to vac seal and freeze.  You can warm them and slice prior to service.

cptnmrvl

Thanks, KyNola.  I really appreciate it.  Do you think I should freeze the brisket point whole and make the burnt ends after thawing?

Wildcat

To keep it from being too dry I would recommend freezing the brisket whole or halved if it is too large.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

pensrock

I also save the drippings from the brisket, defat it and then freeze it in an ice cube tray. You can then put the frozen juice cubes in a zip bag and keep in the freezer till you are ready to reheat the brisket. It makes great juice for reheating in. If you have juice left from the butt, I would save it as well for the same reason.