Puck Storing

Started by NePaSmoKer, April 04, 2014, 10:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Been noticing that the local Academy, BP & Gander Mtn have been out of stock on pucks.

Down here i have found i need to store my pucks so they dont pick up moisture.

hutcho

Good idea! I have some rubbermade tubs I keep on my smoker cart.  They seem to work good so far.  Not as good as vac seal though :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

tskeeter

I'd think there would be a variety of ways to protect pucks from moisture absorption.  One of the things I learned work in food processing plants is that metal (metal foil) is a really effective moisture/air barrier.  Second only to glass, according to the packaging guys.  And the more layers of barrier material, the better. 

Given the cost of vac seal pouches, I might be inclined to do some testing to see if an approach like this would work well enough.  Wrap pucks in aluminum foil.  Either fold and crimp seams to seal, or seal seams with tape.  Masking tape would be plenty good, I'd think.  Tuck foil packet of pucks into a zip lock bag, squeeze the air out, and seal.  Put the zip lock bag into a second zip lock bag, squeeze the air out and seal.

I use a variation of this approach to store my pucks.  (Pucks in a zip lock, then in a plastic, tupperware style container.)  And to store brown sugar, so it doesn't dry out too quickly (happens in less than 60 days in this part of the country).  Brown sugar in the retail zipper bag, then into a second zipper bag, then into a plastic container or yet another zipper bag.  This has kept the brown sugar moist and usable for more than a year.  And all those zipper bags are reusable.