Canadian Bacon question

Started by bundy, April 05, 2014, 05:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

Hi, I have made the Canadian Bacon using Hab's Dry Cure recipe and it turned out great'

I want to try the Mallard Wakers recipe " Maple Canadian Bacon " It calls for 3.2 oz of Maple favored cure for 21 days.

My question is I have Maple cure from " Sausage Makers " but it just has the wet  brine recipe for it. Can I use that cure at 3.2 oz instead of the Butcher-Paker cure he used??

Thanks

beefmann

i  have used 3.2 ounce (  by weight ) of insta cure  # 1 in a  wet  cure to a gallon of  apple cider... if the butcher -  packer  has the  same ingredients  f the  insta  cure # 1  go for it,,, though i  only cure  mine for  7  days,,,  andit is good to go

bundy

Don't know what the Butcher- Paker cure is. Sausage Maker says to use 2# for 25# of meat in the wet cure. I wanted to do a dry cure with it ??

Habanero Smoker

That is one issue with Mallardwackers recipe, you need to use a specific brand name, or convert a brand name that provides dry application instructions. The instruction for use of the two different brands are different, and what make matters more difficult to determine how they compare, is that Sausage Maker doesn't give any dry application instructions.

One thing I do know is that they are not use at the same rate in a wet brine. Sausage Maker is used at a rate of 1lb. per 5qt.; while Butcher-Paker is use at 1lb. per 4qts. With sodium nitrite, I will not cure anything longer then 14 days, the only exception; for example is if after measuring the cure, you divide the cure you will be using into thirds, and apply 1/3 of the cure in weekly interval.

As for the conversion, without knowing the percentage of sodium nitrite that is in their Maple Cure, it is impossible to covert it properly. If you send Sausage Maker an email, they may provide the amount you should use for dry application.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tailfeathers

I use excaliber brand maple sugar cure with mallardwacker's recipe and it turns out perfect every time. His recipe calls for 3.2 oz cure to 10 lbs of meat and the label on my cure package says 1.25 lbs cure per 25 lbs meat. I use the cure amount he specifies in his recipe. I'm not sure whats up with that, but maybe thats why he cures for 21 days (which is by far the longest cure time of any recipe I've seen).  His was the first recipe I ever used, I love how it turns out so I've just stuck with it. I attached a pic of the label so you can compare ingredients, concentrations or whatever. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

As luck would have it, today just happened to be smoke day after the 21 day curing on 20# of loin (and 10# eye round for dried beef). Everybody is done smoking and hanging out in the fridge for a slicing/packaging party tomorrow. Beef in the Bradleyand after smokingcanadian baconI'll try to remember to post some money shot pics tomorrow when we break out the slicer.

tailfeathers

To clarify, the beef uses a different cure (TQ and brown sugar) and for 8-10 days depending on thickness.

bundy

Tailfeathers, I guess I better not use the sausage maker cure not knowing the sodium nitrite in it.

Where did you get the excaliber brand, in Sioux Falls ? I live in Watertown.

wipf9994

Quote from: tailfeathers on April 05, 2014, 10:35:52 PM
To clarify, the beef uses a different cure (TQ and brown sugar) and for 8-10 days depending on thickness.

Tailfeathers I use the same stuff you do. Do you cure it wet or dry?

tailfeathers

Quote from: bundy on April 06, 2014, 04:23:56 AM
Tailfeathers, I guess I better not use the sausage maker cure not knowing the sodium nitrite in it.

Where did you get the excaliber brand, in Sioux Falls ? I live in Watertown.
Bundy, yes I buy it in SF. Northern Meat Processing on west 12th street. They have lots of cures, spices and the like. Wipf, I have always used dry cure, someday I am sure I will want to try a recipe that uses a wet cure, just haven't yet.

tailfeathers

Quote from: tailfeathers on April 05, 2014, 10:35:52 PM

Also a dry cure.

tailfeathers

Here's the c bacon smoked and wrapped to chill before slicing. Everything turned out really good but I didn't get any shots of the sliced meat. A buddy came over with a boneless turkey breast from his pellet pooper he wanted to slice so we went to town slicing everything up and I spaced the photos. It's all sliced, vac packed and in the freezer already. My bad!

tailfeathers

SiFumar

tailfeathers

Here's a shot of the finished product, sorry I didn't get any of the slicing. Ended up with 34 Canadian bacon and 16 packages of dried beef, plus some nice sized packages of odd size pieces and the ends, which is my favorite part.