Whats the best cheese

Started by LanduytG, April 05, 2014, 06:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

Want to try some smoked cheese before the weather gets much warmer. I see a lot about smoking but have not seen much on what the favorite cheese is to smoke. I have had smoked Swiss and thought it was good stuff but nothing elseeg.

Thanks
Greg

rajzer

What's the best cheese?  What's the best wine? Only you know the answer to that!

KyNola

My vote goes for cheddar and/or gouda but there are lots of other cheeses that are delicious smoked as well.  Cheddar and gouda are just my preferences.

RedJada

I did a little blu cheese for the first time in the last batch. Man it came out great, salads, burgers, steaks you name it. Ill be doing larger qty in the next cheese smoke.

Salmonsmoker

Pretty much any cheese you want to try. Here's a partial list of cheeses I've smoked:  cheddar from mild to extra sharp, colby jack, mozzarella, muenster, gouda, swiss, asagio, fontina, cream cheese, pepper jack, parmesan, romano.....I know there are a few more but can't think of them right now.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

LanduytG

Never thought of Blue Cheese, I will have to give that a try. I bet a smoked blue burg is great.

Thanks All
Greg

Smokin Sparky

I have smoked string cheese.  Turned out great.  Hard to keep around once the grandkids found my stash.  ;D    ;D    ;D

Blake
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

LanduytG

I'm doing the triple smoked bacon and thought it would be a good time to do cheese. Decided on swiss and cheddar.

Greg

Shasta bob

That's easy-Smoked Cheese. Really my favorite is the horseradish cheese from Rumiano's in Crescent City, California I smoke it with 3hrs. Of hickory.
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

tailfeathers

Quote from: KyNola on April 05, 2014, 06:25:22 AM
My vote goes for cheddar and/or gouda but there are lots of other cheeses that are delicious smoked as well.  Cheddar and gouda are just my preferences.
X2. Cabot makes a 3 yr aged white extra sharp cheddar that is my favorite, 2 hours of apple. This is the kind of question where you are likely to get a different answer from everyone who responds.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

SiFumar

Got to say Triple Pepper cheese is my favorite!

Northern_Hunting_Mom

I have bought smoked Havarti, even smoked jalapeno Havarti and I love it.

Would it be safe to say that the hard cheeses need to rest for 4 weeks and the softer cheeses do not need such a long wait time between smoking and eating?

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Northern_Hunting_Mom on April 05, 2014, 09:12:54 PM
I have bought smoked Havarti, even smoked jalapeno Havarti and I love it.

Would it be safe to say that the hard cheeses need to rest for 4 weeks and the softer cheeses do not need such a long wait time between smoking and eating?
That's what I've found NHM. The smoke compounds take longer to migrate inward with the harder cheeses. Just checked my supply and it was smoked back in Sept. It's all still excellent and enjoyed almost daily.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

LanduytG

OK, I  have my Swiss and Cheddar, now how thick should it be cut? I thought 3/8 or so. Cheddar is in a 4x4x1.25 and the Swiss is in a wedge.

Thanks
Greg

watchdog56

Mine is Ghouda then colby jack then string.