Suggestions for smoked cheese tasting

Started by tskeeter, April 08, 2014, 08:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tskeeter

Guys, I'm thinking abut doing a cheese smoking demonstration and smoked cheese tasting for our HOA social committee next fall.  I'm thinking doing three different brands of sharp cheddar, to show differences in the same style cheese.  Using some different woods, to showcase the flavor differences of some woods.  And maybe a cheese that is a little more exotic than cheddar or Gouda.  All compared to an unsmoked sample of each cheese.

I'd appreciate your suggestions about some cheeses commonly available here on the west cost (northern Nevada) that you think would work well for this type of demonstration/tasting.  I'm not married to cheddar and Gouda.

I'd also like you input on woods that will go well with cheese.  I like apple for most things, so this is what I use when I smoke cheese.  But,  I was thinking doing some cherry and some hickory.  Or would some other choices be better?

Saber 4

I like apple and pecan for my cheese smoking. As for the cheeses we like Jarlsberg it's a Swedish cheese that's similar to Swiss that I get at Sam's, along with the usual suspects of cheddar, gouda, Swiss, and a good deli American cheese (Cooper Sharp if you can get it). If you really want to knock their socks off smoke a block of Velveeta and make a batch of Velveeta and Rotel's chili's dip with it and put an un-smoked batch next to it, served with large scoop Fritos or tortilla chips.

manfromplaid

we really like friulano smoked 1 hr with apple. also makes the most awesome grilled cheese sammy.

tskeeter

Quote from: Saber 4 on April 08, 2014, 09:48:51 AM
I like apple and pecan for my cheese smoking. As for the cheeses we like Jarlsberg it's a Swedish cheese that's similar to Swiss that I get at Sam's, along with the usual suspects of cheddar, gouda, Swiss, and a good deli American cheese (Cooper Sharp if you can get it). If you really want to knock their socks off smoke a block of Velveeta and make a batch of Velveeta and Rotel's chili's dip with it and put an un-smoked batch next to it, served with large scoop Fritos or tortilla chips.

Saber, the smoked Velveeta/Rotel sounds like a great idea.  Haven't seen Cooper in this part of the world.  Seems to be primarily east coast distribution when I looked it up after seeing you guys talking about it a few months back.  Will have to consider the Jarlsberg.  I know you can get the low fat version at Costco.  But, what's the point?  I think we should b eating the things that taste really good.  And low fat usually ain't it.

Thanks for your suggestions! 

tskeeter

Quote from: manfromplaid on April 08, 2014, 09:59:19 AM
we really like friulano smoked 1 hr with apple. also makes the most awesome grilled cheese sammy.

Thanks for your suggestion.  I'm going forth to figure out what friulano is and if I can get it around here.

pensrock

I mainly use apple for cheese unless I want it a little stronger then will go with hickory or oak. NY state makes some great Xsharp cheddar, which is what I get along with a bunch of Cooper and horseradish cheese.

Salmonsmoker

All of Tillamook's cheese is good. Based out of Oregon, not sure if the local Costco carries it there. It's a year round staple at the local Costco here.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

tailfeathers

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on April 09, 2014, 07:33:27 AM
All of Tillamook's cheese is good. Based out of Oregon, not sure if the local Costco carries it there. It's a year round staple at the local Costco here.
X2 on the Tillamook. I also really like Cabot cheeses, (out of Vermont I believe) in particular their extra sharp white cheddar. They offer a premium version of it that is 3 yr aged. Slightly more expensive of course, but man is it good! Couple hours of apple smoke then seal and wait. Yum! The only problem with it is it's so hard that it's hard to slice cleanly, pieces want to flake off. I've found that bringing it to room temp before slicing helps a lot. I usually cut the 2 lb brick into quarters prior to smoking. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tskeeter

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on April 09, 2014, 07:33:27 AM

Yes, our local Costco carries Tillamook year around, too.  It's been my go-to sharp cheddar.  Have tried others, but this is the one I choose for value and smoking characteristics.

Saber 4

Quote from: tskeeter on April 08, 2014, 04:49:23 PM
Quote from: Saber 4 on April 08, 2014, 09:48:51 AM

Saber, the smoked Velveeta/Rotel sounds like a great idea.  Haven't seen Cooper in this part of the world.  Seems to be primarily east coast distribution when I looked it up after seeing you guys talking about it a few months back.  Will have to consider the Jarlsberg.  I know you can get the low fat version at Costco.  But, what's the point?  I think we should b eating the things that taste really good.  And low fat usually ain't it.

Thanks for your suggestions!

If you have or know someone with access to a military commissary they seem to carry the Cooper brand in most of their stores. You can get the regular non low fat Jarlsberg at Sam's all year long.