900 Watt element with PID?

Started by Pest889, April 10, 2014, 08:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pest889

Hi all   I just got the Original Bradley smoker...  was disappointed with the temp problem I was having and googled it....  I want to install the 900 Watt element....  Do I have to get the "PID"?   I have the new style smoker with the temp dial on the side puck loader. Im not sure why that wouldn't be good enough to work the elements temp.  Where do I get a PID if I need one?  WTF is a "PID?"

Looking pretty stupid I have to do this to a brand new machine I just bought....  At this point BRADLEY SUX!

Maybe they should just tell you on the box...  " machine may take forever to heat up"....  after it finally does (if ever) When you put meat in, it may take hours to heat back up, and cook... longer than recipe states, due to not being able to heat.....  Not sure how safe this is, or how much MORE of wood pucks this will cost

To fix this you must get a firm understanding of the element, and Mods, and fans, and cut holes, and make brackets, and take off panels, and wiring so that the machine will kinda do what we said it would do already...

Guess I might have opted for something a lil different in the store huh?

sorry if this has been answered already but I have been reading till tearing....

dave97402

A proportional-integral-derivative controller (PID controller) is a control loop feedback mechanism widely used in industrial control systems

You don't have to have one. But if you get to doing some of the different meats and styles, a closely controlled temp is very helpful if not required. Sausage and such is an example of needing closely monitored and held temp control.

As is I found that the Bradley works fine for most smoking I have done. Stock element etc it works fine. Like most things, if you can supe it up and add more power, there are many who love that!

I also found that as the outside temps are rising, finally, it heats up and maintains much better! haha

I did add the 900 watt element and the PID. I found it just made a great smoker even better

Good luck with your adventures.

cajunboudreaux

It is a smoker not a high temp Grill. I have used a Bradley smoker for 15 years and smoking takes time. It is a great machine and if used properly will produce some of the best meat out there. You probably should have done your research first. There are a few tricks to help heat recovery. I haven't done a mod to my Bradleys and they work great.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

Pest889

Quote from: cajunboudreaux on April 11, 2014, 07:06:01 AM
It is a smoker not a high temp Grill. I have used a Bradley smoker for 15 years and smoking takes time. It is a great machine and if used properly will produce some of the best meat out there. You probably should have done your research first. There are a few tricks to help heat recovery. I haven't done a mod to my Bradleys and they work great.

well I can understand what you are saying...  its not a grill, but when it takes way longer than the recipe calls for in a SMOKER then that tells me this smoker doesn't work properly...  secondly there shouldn't need "tricks" to get the thing to make heat...  isn't that what the machine is for?  To babysit a machine and try and hover over to get the thing to do what it should do still says there is a problem.  And as for making some of the best meat...  that's what smokers do, that's the whole point of getting one.  Its definitely , in this case, not the smoker, but the smoke and the person, making the best meat out there.

OMG! LOL  I just saw you live in ARIZONA!  You could smoke food in a cardboard box there.  If there is still heating tricks needed there then Im in a lot of trouble   LOL!

No wind, I was outside in shorts and T shirt

KyNola

I have a question for you and I apologize if it is too direct for you.  Did you join the Forum to ask for help in learning how to properly use your Bradley or did you come on here just to b!tch?  If you truly want to learn how to properly use your Bradley we will all be happy to help you.  If you just want to b!tch, have a nice day.

Here's the first "trick" free of charge.  You cannot go by time when using ANY type of smoker.  The meat is in total control.  It's all about the internal temperature of the meat.  Any recipe that tells you specifically how long to cook something in a smoker is not worth the paper or computer it is written on and that includes the recipes that Bradley may post with specific times.

Pest889

Quote from: KyNola on April 11, 2014, 07:31:50 AM
I have a question for you and I apologize if it is too direct for you.  Did you join the Forum to ask for help in learning how to properly use your Bradley or did you come on here just to b!tch?  If you truly want to learn how to properly use your Bradley we will all be happy to help you.  If you just want to b!tch, have a nice day.

Here's the first "trick" free of charge.  You cannot go by time when using ANY type of smoker.  The meat is in total control.  It's all about the internal temperature of the meat.  Any recipe that tells you specifically how long to cook something in a smoker is not worth the paper or computer it is written on and that includes the recipes that Bradley may post with specific times.

Well you can kick me off if you want to, But you deserve to be bitched at.  I have to build this smoker so it can smoke meat. It should have been what YOU did before I bought it! I have a right to bitch!  My question was answered, and I answered the comment that was posted to me. You HAVE sold me a cardboard box and said its my fault for it working like crap....  The "ART" of trying to get your smoker to heat up properly  LOL!    I just wanted to know how much more money and time I was going to have to spend to make this thing work properly, or bring it back to the store.  "Truth Hurts" is all your problem is

Thanks....  got my answers here

BAM1

First off for safety, YES YOU NEED A PID IF YOU DO A 900W ELEMENT SWAP!  If as you said you've been tearing up reading so much about this you would have known that.  Please don't come on our board and bash the very product this board stands for.  Give it a chance and get some smokes under your belt.  I ran my Bradley for a year before I did my 900w swap.  It worked as advertised I did the 900w swap mainly because of my patience and I'm a gadget junky.  I have several friends on this board that have the stock elements and more patience than me cranking out great Q.  And as KyNola said, you're at the mercy of the meat.  It doesn't matter if you have a $500 Bradley or a $5000 Southern Pride, the meats not going to be done until it's done.  Please do some smoking, share your cooks through pictures, and enjoy the smoking experience. 
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

rexster

Personally, you can take it back to the store with your attitude and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
I'm getting soooooo tired of these drive by posters that want instantaneous results with the Bradley without taking time to read up on past posts before posting crap that's been answered sooo many times in the past.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

River Rat

I don't normally respond to the type of post like this one from Pest889, but its obivious to me, that no matter how much sound advice or how much help is offered, Pest889 has made up his mind and it is not worth the time and effort from the good members of the forum. Some people, unfortunately, are born to complain. Pest 889, take it back, get your money and move on. This is NOT what this forum is about. It's your loss that you do not want to learn how to use the equipment properly and enjoy the great people on this forum
River Rat
"Smoke On"

KyNola

Quote from: Pest889 on April 11, 2014, 07:56:02 AM
Quote from: KyNola on April 11, 2014, 07:31:50 AM
Well you can kick me off if you want to, But you deserve to be bitched at.  I have to build this smoker so it can smoke meat. It should have been what YOU did before I bought it! I have a right to bitch!  My question was answered, and I answered the comment that was posted to me. You HAVE sold me a cardboard box and said its my fault for it working like crap....  The "ART" of trying to get your smoker to heat up properly  LOL!    I just wanted to know how much more money and time I was going to have to spend to make this thing work properly, or bring it back to the store.  "Truth Hurts" is all your problem is
Thanks....  got my answers here
Let's get a few things clear.  I am not nor have ever been an employee of Bradley Smokers nor am I compensated by Bradley.  They asked two other guys and me to be moderators on the Forum because we happen to have a few years experience using Bradley smokers.  I have no power to kick you off, only the folks at Bradley can do that.  As for "how much more money and time I was going to have to spend to make this thing work properly", the answer is not one additional dime.  You do need to spend some additional time learning how to use it properly.

I asked you a simple question, do you want to learn how to properly use your Bradley or do you just want to bitch about it.  Obviously I got my answer.  Please do yourself a favor and return your unit and purchase something that more closely suits your lifestyle.  Life is too short to be unhappy regardless of the circumstances.

NePaSmoKer

Some folks just don't know the difference between a smoker and a 500* oven

NorthShoreMN

I live in N E Minnesota and have had my 6 rack digital 4 years ,original No Modifications,  no problems other than door hinges
As KYNOLA referred to:  its up to the meat. It's done when it's done.  Yes it is low and slow, but that's what I purchased it for.  There are other things that cook fast. 
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

TNRockyraccoon

I cooked on a stock model original Bradley for years with no problem. I've also used a stock model digital with no problem. Now days I'm using an OBS Bradley with some mods. All of them worked very well when I allowed plenty of time for the slow cooking process to do it's thing.

One thing you should note, adding a larger or additional heating elements will do nothing in terms of making your smoking cook faster. They will help will warm up and recovery times though. Any smoker will take a temperature hit when you load it with a cold load. Once the meat starts warming, recovery times will get better.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you give it a try with an open mind and patience. As mentioned, disregard recipes and their times because you must go by the internal temperatures of the meat and not the clock.

tailfeathers

moniker pretty much sums it up for me!!!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!