Caney's annual flyfishing smokeout

Started by Caneyscud, April 11, 2014, 06:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Every year for the past several years, I've been putting on a bbq for my flyfishing buddies.  I have it behind a local fly shop and have a good time cooking and meeting and feeding friends.  I tend to go overboard, but hey, you only live once!  It is not a particularly bad part of town, but I don't want to spend the night there - so I have to do "cheaters" for the big meats.  A menu for this year
Briskets, butts, beef sausage, boudin, brats, bacon wrapped hot dogs, meatloaf, moinkballs (2 types), green poppers, red poppers, bacon wrapped quail, bacon wrapped p. tenderloin (island style), bacon wrapped p. tenderloin (sweet and sassy), bacon wrapped p. tenderloin (buffalo style), smoked catfish dip, John Wayne Muffins, Sliced Unmentionables, chicken gizzards, bacon wrapped boneless thighs (island style), spatchcocked chicken, fatties (breakfast), fatties (fig n cheese), fatties (cheese n onion), cheeseburger stuffed pizza, hash brown casserole (ranch), hash brown casserole (Jalapeno popper) kicked up gnocchi mac and cheese.  No dessert - I forgot.  A few pics.
Smoker - trailer mounted horizontal off-set - an old Oklahoma Joe

Mainly fatties and quail

John Wayne Muffins

Pork tenderloins

Red poppers (ran out of bacon to wrap them. 

Bacon wrapped quail and a point of a brisket

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Caneyscud

John Wayne Muffin

Cooker

Beef sausage, boudin, brats

Pulled butt

Meatloaf - I forgot the tomato sauce

Gnocchi mac n cheese

tailfeathers

I got a free donut at a bait shop one time.................... ::)
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Caneyscud

If you go Orvis rather than Loomis - then you get the bbq!  LOL

tailfeathers

Quote from: Caneyscud on April 11, 2014, 06:45:44 AM
If you go Orvis rather than Loomis - then you get the bbq!  LOL
touch'e!!

tailfeathers

I'm actually not a flyfisherman, although I'm certain I would love it if I tried it. Just a humble bait rigger/jigging kinda guy, but I do love the feel of my Loomis rods!

River Rat

Hurry, I need directions to this fine looking feed fest!
River Rat
"Smoke On"

Smoker John

Now that's meatapalooza right there, great looking eats
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

BAM1

What a spread!  Your fishing buddies better be counting their lucky stars that they have you as a friend
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

NorthShoreMN

I fly fish NE Minnesota, somewhere in collection I have an Orvis set.  Do I qualify for invite?
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

TNRockyraccoon

Oh my goodness. I hate that I missed that Caney.

Unfortunately, or fortunately.....however you look at it, I was on the Holston River with clients all weekend. One of the bad things about being a guide is you must make yourself available every day 365. Maybe next year. It sure looks like you put on a feast worthy of any tweed wearing, chalk streaming, dry fly fishing, fish tale telling angler in the world.

OldHickory

Caney, that is just beautiful.  My Dad introduced me to fly fishing at the age of 9yo in McMinnville, Tennessee.  We fished the Caney Fork and Center Hill when it was completed.  It was mainly bass and some local trout.  That started a long career in fly fishing, and I still love it.  Wish I could have tried some of your beautiful feast.  Your buddies are very fortunate.   
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Saber 4

That's a great looking spread, what's the story on the John Wayne muffins? I've never seen them before.

SiFumar

Oh my look at all that goodness you got going on there!  Haven't caught up with you in a while...good to see ya back!

Robert....if these are the same "muffins" that I saved from another post...http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18258.0
Well worth trying!

Saber 4

Quote from: SiFumar on April 11, 2014, 07:12:26 PM
Oh my look at all that goodness you got going on there!  Haven't caught up with you in a while...good to see ya back!

Robert....if these are the same "muffins" that I saved from another post...http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18258.0
Well worth trying!

Thanks Sandy, bookmarked that thread so I can do these when I get some time.