How to cold smoke with New Original smoker

Started by Smokey Ty, April 11, 2014, 01:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey Ty

I have a newer model smoker.  I am wondering can I cold smoke with this model with the standard configuration?  Is it as simple as not plugging in the plug that goes to the cavity from the SG?
Learning the art of Smoke

tskeeter

The answer is yes, and no, it's as simple as not turning on the heating elements in smoker cabinet (I'm not familiar with the NOS, so I don't know exactly how the heating element control works).  The reason I say yes and no is it may depend on the outside temperature.  Some products, such as cheese, need temps below about 90F.  If the outside temps are 85F, the additional heat from the smoke generator will probably push your cabinet temps above 90F.

All is not lost, when temps are high, however.  You can cool the cabinet to keep the temps below 90F.  Some folks use bowls of ice cubes, others 2 liter soda bottles filled with water and frozen, I've used chemical ice packs wrapped in foil to keep the smoke residue off them.  Or you do your cold smoking during the cool morning and evening hours.  Or during the times of the year when the weather is cooler (I tend to smoke a big batch of cheese in the early spring, before it gets too warm, and again in the fall, after the weather cools off).