Suitable alternative cheeses for hight temperature cheese in sausage

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, April 12, 2014, 01:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

A sausage recipe I want to make next weekend calls for cheese.  I've never seen any high temperature cheese in the supermarkets around here; Kutas says to use "slices of imitation cheese" in his recipe but that doesn't sound appealing to me.

Has anyone used regular hard cheese with success in their sausage?  What kinds are suitable?

Thompsoncentre

I've used regular cheddar from grocery store and mozza and both worked perfect for me.
This is just Cracker Barrel mild I believe

SiFumar

In the beginning I tried high temp cheese....it's to darn expensive. (Had to order) Use reg cheese diced in small cubes.  Gadgets out there to save on labor. I prefer Cooper sharp cheddar.

Habanero Smoker

The hard cheeses like cheddar work well. I still have some high temperature cheese left, and that works great, but did experiment with cheddar, and it worked out fairly well. If you don't have a slicer, what I did was purchase my cheese from the deli and had them cut it to the thickness I wanted to cube my cheese. Having the cheese sliced first, saves at list 1/3rd of the labor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RexLan

I've used cheddar also and the problem I found with it is that it seems to melt and get a little greasy when it is in contact with the meat.  Not a heat issue.

You can see exactly what I am talking about in the picture above ... the cheese is melted on the edges and it just does not look good.  It taste fine however.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: RexLan on April 13, 2014, 06:04:18 AM
I've used cheddar also and the problem I found with it is that it seems to melt and get a little greasy when it is in contact with the meat.  Not a heat issue.

You can see exactly what I am talking about in the picture above ... the cheese is melted on the edges and it just does not look good.  It taste fine however.

Using smaller dices help a little. I use a 1/8' to a 1/4" dice.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cobra6223

Remember also when looking for product think outside the box.... I like wanted hi-temp cheese Cabela's was expensive and they ONLY carried it during the HOLIDAYS, go figure. So anyway my local butcher and old friend carried it in 2 types and I could but it by the pound so I didn't have lots sitting around. So check other options that may have it. GOOD LUCK

Habanero Smoker

I forgot I did a comparison of high temperature cheddar cheese, cheddar diced cheese, and cheddar shredded cheese. The comparison is within the link below. I also should mention that with the regular hard cheese I noticed further melting when the sausage is reheated.

Cheddar and Jalapeno Smoked Sausage

I
         don't
                   inhale.

RexLan

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 14, 2014, 01:44:59 AM
I forgot I did a comparison of high temperature cheddar cheese, cheddar diced cheese, and cheddar shredded cheese. The comparison is within the link below. I also should mention that with the regular hard cheese I noticed further melting when the sausage is reheated.

Cheddar and Jalapeno Smoked Sausage

Very nice write-up ... recommended reading for all.