Smoke shack finally in operation!

Started by BoxcarBetts, April 13, 2014, 04:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoxcarBetts

Hi all,

I haven't posted recently because I haven't been smoking much recently. In Vancouver, we don't really get winter, just a rainy season that ends somewhere around now. In the meantime, I've been trying to build a weatherproof smoke shack. Took a long time to build it due to long work days and other chores the wife throws on my plate, but after testing it in a few rain showers, my new shack finally seems ready for its first smoke!

It's made out of some leftover Brazilian Walnut floorboards my neighbour had, some leftover shingles from my roof, a bit of leftover hardware from an old dresser, and the rest of the structural stuff had to be bought new.

Figured I'd share some pics!

They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

tailfeathers

That'll do! Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

waycoolcat

First, I'd like to say, excellent job on the build. The Brazilian walnut wood is beautiful. It looks like you have untreated 2x4 touching the patio tiles. If it is the start of your rainy season you might consider an non-wicking blocking to get it off of the tile and let it dry out quicker after a good soaking.  Having said my two cents, that is one sweet smoker! ;D
I want to be a better carnivore!

BoxcarBetts

Thanks!

Yeah, the 2x4s are untreated, much like my fence. I plan on staining that sometime this summer, so so I'll probably slap a quick coat on the smoker as well.  But elevating it ain't a bad idea...

TedEbear

Looks pretty good.  What gauge extension cord are you using there? The Bradley generally doesn't work well with an extension cord unless it is a heavy duty one.

carnie1

That sure looks like Casper in the background, I thought he was the only Eskie quality control on the forum, looks like he's not   :)

pensrock

QuoteThat sure looks like Casper in the background
I thought it was Casper as well, I had to go look who made the post to find out it was not.  :)

tskeeter

Boxcar, that's one nice looking smoker house!

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

tailfeathers

Quote from: pensrock on April 14, 2014, 07:16:48 AM
QuoteThat sure looks like Casper in the background
I thought it was Casper as well, I had to go look who made the post to find out it was not.  :)
Same here. Saw the dog, had to double check who started the post!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Habanero Smoker

Great way to recycle building materials. Very well done!

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Saber 4

That's a nice build, I have to agree about getting it up off the ground some, with my knees and back I would have to get it up about 3 feet off the ground.

BoxcarBetts

Uh oh, there's another Esker in here?  Who owns Casper? Hahaha We actually have 3. My wife had one when I met her, and then I go out of town for work a few times...  Hahaha

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm pretty happy with it. It just went through another rain test today and it's bone dry. I even learned a little about roofing building this thing!  My only regret is not having enough floorboards to make it bigger to incorporate a bit of storage.

And Ted, it's a medium-duty 10A extension cord (50 ft). I used a thermocouple to verify and I get the full heat out of it.  The smoker is 625W, so that's 5.2A. Seems to be all good.

beefmann

carnie1

Quote from: BoxcarBetts on April 15, 2014, 08:24:06 PM
Uh oh, there's another Esker in here?  Who owns Casper? Hahaha We actually have 3. My wife had one when I met her, and then I go out of town for work a few times...  Hahaha

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm pretty happy with it. It just went through another rain test today and it's bone dry. I even learned a little about roofing building this thing!  My only regret is not having enough floorboards to make it bigger to incorporate a bit of storage.

And Ted, it's a medium-duty 10A extension cord (50 ft). I used a thermocouple to verify and I get the full heat out of it.  The smoker is 625W, so that's 5.2A. Seems to be all good.
He also has his own beer  ;D and he is head quality control inspector