Cured Pork Back Fat?

Started by billzed, April 15, 2014, 09:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billzed

I was in Pennsylvania this past weekend and I was perusing the meat counter of the local supermarket and I came across small packages of Hatfield Pork Back fat for $1.89/lb next to the Salt Pork and the Hog sausage casings.  I assumed this would be useful for making salami's etc.  Though, when I looked more closely at the label it says it is Cured With: Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, and Sodium Nitrite.

So my question is has anyone used this cured Pork Fat Back in sausage/salami making? or it is good to use for that purpose?

Thanks,

Bill

Habanero Smoker

Uncured fatback is a good fat to add a sausage. Salted Pork Fatback is generally used as a seasoning in many different types of recipes, such as beans, collard green, and long cooking stews. I generally will see salted fatback in most large grocery stores, generally with the rind on. Generally they are salt only cured, which gives the fat a long shelf life. This is the first time I have seen one with sodium nitrite.

There is a member that accidently ordered a slab of salt cured bacon, and did use it his sausage making, and reduced the added salt the recipe called for.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NorthShoreMN

Sounds like Lardo, an italian cured fatback. Can be used sliced very thin as seasoning or even as part of
an antipasto plate.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

piper_joe

I use it in my sausages. My mother show me how to do it. We soak the back fat in water for a day or two. That will pull all the salt out and re hydrate the skin. The I use it in the sausage recipe without having to alter the salt content.  ;)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: billzed on April 15, 2014, 09:09:58 PM
I was in Pennsylvania this past weekend and I was perusing the meat counter of the local supermarket and I came across small packages of Hatfield Pork Back fat for $1.89/lb next to the Salt Pork and the Hog sausage casings.  I assumed this would be useful for making salami's etc.  Though, when I looked more closely at the label it says it is Cured With: Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, and Sodium Nitrite.

So my question is has anyone used this cured Pork Fat Back in sausage/salami making? or it is good to use for that purpose?

Thanks,

Bill

I'm from PA Amish country

I do believe what you have is a chunk of pork that is used for beans and seasoning of many dishes. Salt and cured. Soaking will not take all the salt out. Down here in the south we have the same thing but its called streak-0-lean. We also have salted pork fat strips with skin on. Again soaking will not take all the salt out.

Happy stuffing