Bacon Weight Loss

Started by OntarioSmoke, April 16, 2014, 07:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OntarioSmoke

No I have not developed the next big diet fad where all you eat is bacon but that is an interesting concept :), although I can probably guess the results. 

I was actually looking for some seasoned smokers to help me with trying to regarding the average (I know it can vary widely) weight loss from their fresh pork belly through the curing and smoking process.  I have made a couple batches of maple bacon now but have not had a scale to get a close count.

Basically trying to figure out if I start with 10lbs of skin off pork belly each time how much delicious bacon will be left, including the delicious ends that are difficult to slice but perfect to make bacon bits out of.

manfromplaid

my bacon results showed about a 12-15% loss of weight from start to finish.  so far

Dano

I've never actually weighed mine.  Just bought 25lbs of pork belly today which I'll start curing tonight for about 2 weeks.  I usually don't see a lot of liquid loss during curing (max 1/8 cup per 5lbs) if any at all. The size of the bacon doesn't change much.  I triple smoke mine and the finished product is close to the same size as before it goes in.
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

OntarioSmoke

Hey Dano, where do you pick your bellies up from?  price?  I am always on the look up for a good place and a good price never hurt either

Dano

Glad you asked as I was messaging about this earlier on another post.  There's a few butcher shops around Kitchener-Waterloo but I go to the one down from my house called 'finest sausage and meats'.  Now for the bad news.  Because of the PED virus that ripped through the US and now Canada, along with the drought conditions last year(or the year before, can't remember) the price has tripled on pork.  I used to pay $3.50 or at most $3.99 per kilo (2.2lbs) last year and I got yesterdays order at a steal at $12/kilo.  Yep, that's a twelve.  Just to double check the cost I checked another butcher to see what their fresh sliced bacon was going for at the meat counter and both were $6.80 and $6.95 per lb.  So I do give this butcher credit, he was going to sell it for $14 but since I bought from him several times before he knocked the price down.

I hope the prices come down in the next few months else it's going to be an expensive bbq season.  :(

I bought about 24lbs yesterday and put the curing mix on last night.  I usually give about half of it out to relatives but I may be a bit more selective this year.  ;)  I freeze it into 2lb packages after it's finished smoking and resting so I'm going to try and ride the market out.

If you're in Mississauga, I know there's a few shops called 'the healthy butcher' which may be closer to your area but you'll have to check price.  I'm going to the KW store soon to look at a packer's brisket so I'll snoop around the pork counter for you as well. 
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

OntarioSmoke

Ya I grew up a few hours north of KW so I was calling around up there trying to get the farm price for some fresh meat but it was pretty tough, some places wouldn't event sell me large quantities or cases of bellies which is what I would like. 

I did my last batch a month or so ago and picked up 12 lbs from an Asian supermarket not far from me and paid 2.59lb, I think it was 2.89lb regularly but they happened to have a sale on.  I think I may have to check it out again, and sooner rather than later to stock up before prices get crazy again.