Triple Smooked Bacon ?

Started by LanduytG, April 07, 2014, 03:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

OK, getting by bacon ready and reading through the instructions again. For day 2 when smoking it says to follow steps 2 and 3 from day 1. and day 3 step 2 from day. My question is does the pellicle form again for day 2 and 3 just like it did for day 1?

Also in place of sugar I was going to use honey, has anyone done that?

Thanks
Greg

Salmonsmoker

I'm sure honey has been used. I also use real maple syrup and or maple sugar.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Habanero Smoker

You can use any sweetener you want, or no sweetener at all. Though I find honey difficult to work with when applying a dry cure.

The pellicle doesn't form each day, so for day 2, and day 3; disregard the first part of step #2 that contains "After the pellicle has been formed,". I may rewrite that for better clarification.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

LanduytG

Thanks for the clarification. The bacon will be curing and in a couple of weeks I hope to report the outcome. I decided on the triple smoked because I had some heavily smoke bacon once and loved it. Will be doing my first at the same time.

Thanks
Greg

Habanero Smoker

I'm sure you will enjoy it, just try to hold within the temperature ranges as much as possible.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

LanduytG

I ordered the Auber Pid control over the weekend so by the time the cure is complete I wll have it and be ready to go.

Thanks
Greg

Dano

I found best results for holding the temps was to invert the racks and place the bacon on top of my fridge. We keep our house around 70F so this guarantees a solid drying time at steady temp between cold smokes. The "on top the fridge" is so my 85lb weimaraner/border collie doesn't decide to try the high jump and get to it. ;)
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)