Ham kielbasa

Started by Smoke some, April 18, 2014, 11:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke some

Ham kielbasa

This batch is a combination of Mikes kielbasa and Chris's Canadian bacon
For the Ham i Cubed up four pounds of pork loin added 4 Tbs Mortens tender quick  and 4 Tbs sugar... in the fridge to cure, kept giving it a mix when i remembered, after 24 hours gave it a good rinse and soak for 10 minutes  left it in strainer to dry.

after the cure, pieces are 1" to a 1.5"

For the kielbasa i used Mikes recipe with 8 pounds of lean ground beef and 8 pounds of ground pork ......time to mix the two together

All stuffed into hog casing

into the smoker...Going to give these 3 hours of hickory

Will be back later... Thanks for looking...

Smoke some

After dry time and 3 hours of hickory smoke

watchdog56

tailfeathers

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

pikeman_95

Smoke some
Those look very good. I see you have some air pockets trapped in some of the sausages. I have designed a little fitting that you add to your stuffer tube that allows the air to escape out from under the casings on the tube. Here is a picture of the tool. It is made out of rigid pex tubing. You cut it at a long angle with a band saw and then grind fat groves in it to allow the air to escape. I just use electrical tape to tape it to what ever tube I am using. And I don't know if electrical tape is food safe or not. I really don't worry about things like that. I think what the hell, your eating smoked cured sausage with lots of pork fat!! The tape is the least of your worries.

Smoke some

Thanks for the tip pikeman_95 may have to try that out.... I've only poked the casing with a pin when there was air build up.

The pictures of the sausage above are very deceiving, what looks like air pockets are the 1" to 1.5" pork loin (ham Chunks)
that went in whole I did not grind them (yes they do look like air pockets in the pictures, but that is the ham chunks you are seeing)

Smoke some

here is a couple more pic's the IT is at 140 right now 

Saber 4

Smoke some

It of 152 into the water for a cool down

after the bloom

Really happy with the taste of this combination it's going to be the go to  from now on

tailfeathers

Son that looks mighty fine!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

renoman

Did you grind the pork or just the beef?

cobra6223

Dang that do look good and from the pic I can tell you don't grind your pork, however could you use smaller cubes as the one in the pic looks pretty big if I'm seeing it right. Thanks Tim.

Smoke some

for this batch I used 8 pounds of ground beef, 8 pounds of ground pork to make the kielbasa....  4 pounds of loin cubed up to make the ham
the ham cubes are not ground just added into the ground pork and beef.

CoreyMac

Curious how you dealt with your cure for the mix. Because you  pre-cured the pork with the Mortons did you modify the amount of cure in the rest of the batch? If been wanting to try this myself but haven't had time to sit down and make a plan for cure amounts. Looks good by the way! ;D

Thanks
Corey

Smoke some

Quote from: CoreyMac on April 22, 2014, 10:30:47 AM
Curious how you dealt with your cure for the mix. Because you  pre-cured the pork with the Mortons did you modify the amount of cure in the rest of the batch? If been wanting to try this myself but haven't had time to sit down and make a plan for cure amounts. Looks good by the way! ;D

Thanks
Corey

The pork loin was cured separate from the kielbasa

I cubed up the pork loin then added one Tbsp. of Morten's and 1 Tbsp. of sugar to a pound of pork.
for this batch i had four pounds of pork loin so i used 4Tbsp of Morten's and 4 Tbsp. of sugar.
I left it in the fridge for 24 hours giving it a mix every few hours to make sure the cure was evenly applied
once curing was done I rinsed the cubes in water for 10 minutes to wash off all the excess

For The kielbasa

I used 8 pounds of ground beef and 8 pounds of ground pork, I used just over 3tsp of cure #1
to make the kielbasa

The pork cubes were added to the Kielbasa mix just before stuffing into hog casing

hope this helps