Maverick ET-733 arrived

Started by waycoolcat, April 18, 2014, 12:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waycoolcat

As I was sitting at my computer reading the forums the UPS driver delivered my Maverick ET-733. It just seemed like karma. I can't wait to fire up the Bradley and try it out tomorrow. Oh, and if anyone is interested its $69.99 with Amazon Prime.

For anyone unfamiliar with this unit it is a dual probe model that can monitor cabinet temp and meat internal temp. (IT), or two pieces of meat or cabinet temp in two different levels. It has 6 preset programs for beef, pork, chicken, etc. and nine wild game meats. You can remote monitor both temps at the same time on the receiver that is rated to work up to 300 feet. Its rated for 716 degrees.
I want to be a better carnivore!

hutcho

You wont be disappointed I got mine awhile back and love it!! And thats a hell of a deal! I paid right at 100 for mine iirc...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

dave97402

I've had mine a while now, seems I paid about that too on Amazon.

I love the remote when I am doing big pork butts over night. I just take it and put it on the night stand. If I have trouble sleeping cause I am getting all anxious and stuff, I just take a peek at the remote.....everything processing nicely!

waycoolcat

I used the Maverick today on two whole chickens. Other than having to play with the settings for a minute to figure it out it worked great. I especially liked having the remote with me while I enjoyed a cigar, brew and good book while keeping an eye on my BBQ. I compared the two probes readings with a Polder probe I had too. The two Mavericks read identical and the Polder was one degree less. That gives me confidence in its accuracy.

I need to go to the butcher and get more meat!
I want to be a better carnivore!

TedEbear

I have the ET-732 version of this.  I wonder what changes they made with the ET-733?  The thing I like the most about it is the long range. My old other brand remote had to stay within about 15' on the other side of the wall where the Bradley was or it would lose the signal.  With this one I can keep it next to me on the nightstand for one of those 20+ hour marathon smokes and set high and low temp alerts to warn me of a grease fire or a problem with the heating elements in the middle of the night.

I just have to remember to ENABLE the alarms.   ;)  I forgot to do that once and I wondered why it wasn't alerting me when the IT got to the setpoint.  Fortunately, I was awake and sort of watching the display as it got closer to being done.

Lefty_Smoker

I grabbed a new ET-733 when Amazon had them on sale for $55 a couple weeks back.  Seems the probes have not been improved any....   But other than that, works as advertised.  I'm happy.

bigalram

Is there some way to calibrate these probes?
I got mine from Amazon yesterday, and, out of the box, the 2 identical probes show an 18 degree variance between each other, at room temperature, neither of which was correct, by the way. I tested them in boiling water, and again in an ice water bath, and still there was a 7-18 degree difference between the two. I tested them against my cheapieTaylor digital probe and an even cheaper instant read analog, and neither Maverick probe could match them.
   I sent an email to maverick, but no reply. If I don't hear back from them with a solution in a timely fashion, I guess it's back to Amazon.
  Has this happened with anyone else? and is there an easier solution? Everything I've read, this is a nice device. So far, I don't see it.
Thanks for listening to my rant. I'm open to anyone's suggestions.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Bigalarm;

Welcome to the forum.

Maverick is generally good about responding to emails. The ET-733 cannot be calibrated. You can only test them form accuracy, as you have done.

Is it the same probe that is reading higher then the other, and of the two are any of the probes showing an accurate reading within +/-2°F? If so, one of the probes may be bad. Also you may want to try swapping the probes around to see if you get the same results; such as the same probe reading higher no matter which connector you plug it into. Plug the smoker probe into the food connector, and the food probe into the smoker connector.

If the probe readings are inconsistent, such as the same probe will either give a higher or lower reading then the other each time you turn it on. First make sure that both probes are securely connected, and see if that resolves the problem. If you are using the batteries that came with the unit, replace them with new/fresh batteries.

When you use the boiling water test, you should use a boiling water calculator that take into account the altitude and barometric pressure.
Testing Thermometers For Accuracy

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bigalram

Hi Habanero,
Thanks for the welcome, as well as your help. I did swap the probes around, and it seems the same one is reading incorrectly, although the other one is still 2-4 degrees off. My concern is that this inaccuracy might amplify, if that's the word, at higher temps.
  I got an answer from Maverick today, and customer service has offered to send me 2 new probes, so, seems a decent company, willing to back their products! Made me happy!
Thanks again for your help.

Habanero Smoker

You're welcome.

I would keep the probe that is reading 2 - 4 degrees off. That probe is probably good. You are not going to get much more accurate then that for a Maverick, and most other brands of household digital thermometers.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ka Honu

I just got my ET-733 to replace my older Maverick which finally bit the dust. I have the alarm enabled but it's not nearly loud enough (the older model was enough louder that I could deal with it) - may have to send it back and look elsewhere. Any suggestions (other than a hearing aid)?