how much smoke?

Started by smokeyone, July 03, 2006, 08:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeyone

i am thinking about going electric as i have gotten tired of tending charcoal the bradley is on my short list but i am not thrilled about the proprietary biscuits my question is how long do you need to apply smoke to a brisket or ribs to get a good smokey flavor with the bradley

Arcs_n_Sparks

smokeyone,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find most do not smoke much over four hours, and will dial it back depending on what they are smoking and the desired flavor.

Arcs_n_Sparks

owrstrich

smo...

the bradley aint for everyone... if you are looking for a easy to operate backyard smoker that does not need lotts of baby sitting... you may want to take another look at the bradley...

you can load the box with 30lbs to 40lbs of beast units ... the most beast units i loaded at one time was 32lbs and i used 15 pucks... less beast units sometimes requires less pucks... but i dont know of anyone ever using more the 12 to 15 pucks on a single smoke... just depends on what beast you got and how much of the beast you got...

here is some info on pucks...

1 puck = 20 minutes of smoke...

some beast units like bacen wrapped checken rolls may only take 6 pucks...

some beast units like briskets and butts may take as many as 12 pucks...

over the weekend i was at cabaleas and scheels... they both had pucks on the shelf... 48 for $20 and 120 for $40... chezzbubba has online pucks as well as others... you get a discounts on pucks and the best service in the industry when you get your bradley from chezzbubba...

smoke costs money reguardless of the brand of unit... i like the bradley because it is easy to use... set and forget... and the beast that comes out of the bradley is outstanding...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

asa

Quote from: smokeyone on July 03, 2006, 08:14:03 PM
the bradley is on my short list but i am not thrilled about the proprietary biscuits

I figured that $5/4 hours of smoke for 20-35# of meat is pretty reasonable when you consider the quality of the product you get out, the time and expense of driving all over town looking for wood chips in different flavors or the time and expense of finding and ordering them from the net, the ease of loading a stack of pucks and walking away vs. tending a hot fire for 18 hours, the idea of smoking only with "clean" smoke and avoiding the bitter end-products of smoking down to ash, and the kudos and rave reviews you get from friends and aquaintances who are fortunate enough to be the recipients of your smoked products. I encourage you to shop around, but those are some of the main considerations that went into my decision to get the OBS (Original Bradley Smoker, not Orange Blossom Special) from Chez and make me happy now that I made that decision.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

West Coast Kansan

The whole clean smoke pitch seems like an oxymoran but really is different.  Food flavors are much better.  The bradley is great for lazy (one of my criteria for purchase) but I had no idea how much better brisket could be.  Still learning but very pleased with the outcome. The pucks are looking like a good buy now.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)