First whole smoked chicken

Started by waycoolcat, April 19, 2014, 05:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waycoolcat

I was inspired by Barbquebec's spatchcocked chickens the other day and did my first whole birds. I marinaded them overnight, applied rub, smoked over cherry for 2 hours and 20 minutes and finished in the oven to  bring them to 170 degrees IT and crisp up the skin.
I want to be a better carnivore!

barbquebec

...what...no invite..looks GOOD!!  8)

Saber 4

Looks like a tasty success to me.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

cardsfan626

What did you marinate them with overnight?

tailfeathers

Fine looking fowl! Great job, especially for your first whole birds. Only problem I can see here is it doesn't appear as though you left much room for improvement! (Not that there's anything wrong with perfection right off the bat)
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

waycoolcat

It was a recipe out of "Smokin with Myron Mixon". I marinated them in 8 cups of chicken broth with 2 2-ounce packets of Lipton dry onion soup mix overnight. Then used his "Basic Chicken Rub" and put them in a foil pan with some apple juice. Even the breast meat was very moist at the end of the cooking process.

Old Smokey

Waycool, looks great! Can't wait to try it! What temp was the smoker and oven? How long in the oven?
Thanks

waycoolcat

Old Smokey, the smoker was set to 250* F, and I put the oven at 350*F. It was over a month ago since I made them so I don't remember the amount of time in the oven, but it would vary the next time anyway. The important thing is to get an oven temperature probe, or an instant read thermometer and stick it into the meaty part of the thigh, not touching bone and make sure it gets to an IT (internal temperature) of 170*- 180*F.

Old Smokey

Waycool, Thanks for your reply.  One last question, did you put the chickens in the pan before placing in the smoker or before putting in oven.?
Thanks,

waycoolcat

I put them in disposable foil pans before putting them in the smoker. I get "half steam table" pans at Sam's Club. You get 30 of them for about $6, then I just throw them away instead of cleaning them and I don't have to scrap the smoker racks and V-pan. The smoke gets to them just fine except along the backbone.

OldHickory

Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.