Easter Ham Completed

Started by GusRobin, April 20, 2014, 04:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

This is the follow-up to a previous post.
To recap:
Easter falls on my wife's birthday so the daughter and future SIL came over for Easter/ Birthday celebration. I had decided to cure and smoke a fresh ham for Easter.
Here it is after I defrosted it - about 20+ lbs.

Trimmed the fat and skin off and ended with about 6 lbs of fat and skin. Well it also includes part of the bone since I had to saw off about 5 inches of the end shank to get it to fit in the brining container. The good news was that I got to use my new meat saw that I bought a while back.

Pic of the saw

All trimmed and ready to be injected with brine. The bad news is that I think I got carried away and trimmed a little too much.

Injected,weighted down with a plate and soaking in the brine.

In the fridge for a week's rest.

At this point I realized that I did not have any ham netting left so I ordered some and had to pay for expedited shipping.
Ham netting arrived in time. I had saved the fat that I had trimmed so I added some back when I put the ham in the net.
Put it in the Bradley at about midnight on Thursday night. Planning on it being ready sometime Saturday morning. The plan was for it to go in at 120* for 12 hours, then 140* for about 8 hrs with smoke and at 170* until it hits 142 -145* IT.
Completed the 12 hrs about noon Friday and started the smoke. Here it is hanging in the Bradley for about 5 hours of smoke. Used the Amazin Smoke tube filled with hickory pellets.

After the smoke it was in for about a total of 26 hours when it reached 142* IT  so I pulled it. I know I should have waited until 145* but it was now almost 2:00 am and I was tired.

Cut the net off and wrapped it is plastic wrap and into the fridge until Easter morning. You may notice I took a slice for quality control testing. Okay, so it was more than one slice.

Come Sunday morning I unwrapped it, added some cloves, pineapple, and a homemade glaze. Double foiled it and into the oven until it got to 100* IT.

Pulled back the foil, glazed again and into a 450* oven for 20 minutes. While it was cooking, made a broccoli, rice casserole.

The ham came out great. Here is the plate with the ham, a croissant, mashed potatoes, and the casserole.

All in all, an excellent meal. Well worth the time. Plus have plenty of leftovers.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

tailfeathers

Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

All I can say is, I wish I could drive to Alabama right now, that is an awesome looking ham!!!! ;) :) :D

TMB

Outstanding Gus, what time we eating??
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

GusRobin

Quote from: TMB on April 20, 2014, 07:22:37 PM
I turned my head and my wife gave the daughter and future SIL most of the leftovers.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

River Rat

That's one great looking meal!  i feel your pain about the leftovers. Happens to me all the time.
River Rat
"Smoke On"

Dano

That looks delicious!  Thank you for the pics as well.
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

beefmann

tailfeathers

Quote from: GusRobin on April 20, 2014, 08:23:34 PM
Quote from: TMB on April 20, 2014, 07:22:37 PM
I turned my head and my wife gave the daughter and future SIL most of the leftovers.
And seeing as how it was both Easter AND her birthday you had the grace, patience and wisdom to say nothing, right? Good Man!

tailfeathers

Hope you at least got to keep the bone for bean soup!!!

GusRobin

Quote from: tailfeathers on April 21, 2014, 07:35:10 AM
No, the daughter's dog got that.

tailfeathers

Quote from: GusRobin on April 21, 2014, 08:06:21 AM
Quote from: tailfeathers on April 21, 2014, 07:35:10 AM
No, the daughter's dog got that.
Ouch! Hence the saying "lucky dog"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tskeeter

Gus, that is one nice looking ham!  The ham in the plated meal photo looks so juicy that I'm starting to drool.

WoodlawnSmoker

Nice job, that looks fantastic!