When to change water: Smoking ribs...

Started by DaxFaxian, May 06, 2014, 01:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaxFaxian

I've just bought a new smoker and am wondering how often I need to change the water in the bottom of the pan. The manual says to change it every 2 - 3 hours, but I've read that I can replace the pan Bradley provides with a disposable metal pan from WalMart?

Thanks from a beginner!!!

SherryGabs

I've been using mine a couple of months now. I just check it every few hours and if the water has evaporated, I add more.
Sherry :D

GusRobin

Look for 2 things - low water or "water" that is not low but mostly grease. At a minimum I usually change water after the smoke portion is done.
As for the disposal pan, I did that for a while and then just bought a metal one ( 9X 13 I think)  as sometimes the disposables were too flimsy.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DaxFaxian

Thanks. I heard that placing HOT water in the pan helps speed up the re-heating process. Any advice on that?

DaxFaxian

What do you mean by the "smoke portion"? Is there something that I'm missing? Do I stop the bisquettes from burning?

RedJada

Quote from: DaxFaxian on May 06, 2014, 01:45:30 PM
What do you mean by the "smoke portion"? Is there something that I'm missing? Do I stop the bisquettes from burning?

After about 4 hours the meat usually stops taking on the smoke flavor. For ribs I only run the smoke for 2 hours, 6 briquettes but leave the smoke generator on for the extra heat. On long cooks like a butt I run the smoke 4 hours. Always keep the smoke generator on for the heat. Google bubba pucks, if you don't have some you should get a couple. You place them on top of your briquettes in the tube. So if you have 6 briquettes (2 hours) the bubba pucks will push the last briquettes into the water bowl, SG still running.

tskeeter

Quote from: DaxFaxian on May 06, 2014, 01:39:37 PM
Thanks. I heard that placing HOT water in the pan helps speed up the re-heating process. Any advice on that?

Use as close to boiling temperature water as you can get in your puck bowl/puck pan.  (I bring a tea kettle to boiling, then take it out to the smoker to fill the puck bowl.)  Cold water will absorb a lot of heat.  If you use cold water in the puck bowl, a lot of the heat your smoker is generating is going to heating the water, rather than being used to cook the meat.  That slows everything down a lot.