plan to make my own cold smoke adapter????

Started by nwcove, April 22, 2014, 01:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwcove

have a tiny little bar fridge ( coiless type), and am strongly considering drilling a hole on the side and top of it to accept the smoker unit and chimney pipe to go to the bradley box for a dedicated cold smoke setup.  has anyone tried this?  any thoughts on flaws in my plan??

thanks
tim :o

watchdog56

I just use a cardboard box and dryer vent hose. Been using same box for 3 years. Works great.

nwcove

thanks for the reply!  saw pics of the cardboard box setup, looks easy enough, but i just thought if i could cool things down allot with the little bar fridge there would be less chance of cooking instead of true cold smoking??

pensrock

Depending on how cold this box would be may effect how well the smoke will rise. I think I would just use a small box of some kind and try it first.

GusRobin

Quote from: nwcove on April 22, 2014, 01:23:25 PM
have a tiny little bar fridge ( coiless type), and am strongly considering drilling a hole on the side and top of it to accept the smoker unit and chimney pipe to go to the bradley box for a dedicated cold smoke setup.  has anyone tried this?  any thoughts on flaws in my plan??

thanks
I did and ran into a couple of issues, some probably of my own doing.
First, mine was a small Dorm type fridge. The compressor was in the back so the inside had a small floor with a step up in it. Since I couldn't fit a water bowl, I decided to take the plastic out. That was a pain. Then I cut out the "shelf". By this time the unit had very little structural integrity left. So I scrapped it and just built one out of plywood. I did use the door and magnetic door gasket from the fridge. It may have been ok if the fridge didn't have that step up inside but then I don't know where they would put the compressor.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

waycoolcat

I know its not what you started the thread for but I wanted to say I just ordered the Bradley Cold Smoke Adapter from Amazon Prime for $79.99. I smoke on my wood deck with a roof overhead and was concerned about a potential fire if a biscuit or ember went stray. The Bradley is steel construction and gives me a peace of mind. My 2 cents.
I want to be a better carnivore!

nwcove

Quote from: GusRobin on April 23, 2014, 10:09:02 AM
Quote from: nwcove on April 22, 2014, 01:23:25 PM

thanks
I did and ran into a couple of issues, some probably of my own doing.
First, mine was a small Dorm type fridge. The compressor was in the back so the inside had a small floor with a step up in it. Since I couldn't fit a water bowl, I decided to take the plastic out. That was a pain. Then I cut out the "shelf". By this time the unit had very little structural integrity left. So I scrapped it and just built one out of plywood. I did use the door and magnetic door gasket from the fridge. It may have been ok if the fridge didn't have that step up inside but then I don't know where they would put the compressor.

the fridge i have has a flat bottom, so i space for the smoke unit and water bowl wont be an issue, but from an above comment, could it be to cold for the smoke to rise or to cold to properly coldsmoke???  waycool, i wont be smoking near combustibles ( other than the fridge itself lol), so embers arent a worry .

Saber 4

Cold smoking isn't generally refrigerator cold but under 85-100 F depending on what it is you're smoking, when I smoke cheese during a brief Texas winter cold spell if the temp is to low I don't get as much smoke penetration or color as I do in the 75-85 degree range

JimRhino

Quote from: nwcove on April 22, 2014, 02:12:34 PM
thanks for the reply!  saw pics of the cardboard box setup, looks easy enough, but i just thought if i could cool things down allot with the little bar fridge there would be less chance of cooking instead of true cold smoking??

Where can I find the pictures? This sounds like an interesting method.

Thanks!

CarpeQue,
JimRhino
Carpe Que,
Jim Rhino

Original Bradley Smoker, Good-One Chuckwagon, ProQ Smoker/Grill, Weber Gasser, Weber Kettle