First Bacon Smoke Complete

Started by LanduytG, April 23, 2014, 12:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

Well my first bacon smoke is in the books. Used Habanero triple smoke method. We used Morton Tender Quick with pepper only and instead of sugar used about a 1/3 of a cup of honey. Did a complete cook to 155 degs. Looks great and taste even better. My only issue is the bellies were way fattier than I originally thought they were. This was from a hog that we butchered this past Feb, I hope the rest of the belly is a little better. Not real sure what we are going to do with it at this point. But the lean part the wife loved it. Its in the frig firming up so I can run it through the slicer. I my post pictures but I have to say I'm a bit embarrassed at the quality of the belly.

As for the new Auber dual probe PID it work great. It made the third day smoke so easy, 3 hrs smoke then to 180 deg till bacon was 155 deg and off. Highly recommend it. One thing I really like is when you open the door that the temps drops only a couple of deg but the elements are brought on 100% for fast reheat.

Greg

Habanero Smoker

You may not want to slice the whole slab. You can also cube it and use it for flavoring beans, stews and casseroles.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

LanduytG

thought I would embarrass myself anyway.

Saber 4

Nothing embarrassing about that slab, :)

LanduytG

Quote from: Saber 4 on April 23, 2014, 02:03:00 PM
Nothing embarrassing about that slab, :)

Well I would never buy anything that looked like that in the store. The other slab is worse. But nothing I can do about it. Just hope the rest is better but when the hog is over 300# its to be expected.

rexster

If it's as bad as you say, cut that sucker up into 2" squares and use it for seasoning. I've gotten some bellies in the past that I thought just weren't up to standards and that's what I did. Pintos, pork and beans, green beans, fry some up for clam chowder, German potato salad among other things
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

RedJada

Looks good to me, I say slice some up and post the photo. I saw bacon in the grocery store this past weekend at $5.00-$5.50lb.....  ???

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

LanduytG

I just sliced a couple of pieces and fryed it a bit and put it on my wife and I's salad. EXCELLENT!! the wife decided it was worth keeping. So I guess I will take ya'lls  advise and use it to season with. 

Thanks
Greg

NorthShoreMN

I always save my trim when making bacon and after smoking,package the fatty pieces for seasoning meat
Some of the slab ends up same way. Can even be used to grind and add to sausage meat mix.  Slab looks nice.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Dano

Beans as others have said. I also mix a bit in with chili and you can always throw it in the cast iron pan instead of butter to give what you're frying a smokier different taste. I know it works well for eggs. :)
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

Habanero Smoker

The fat takes on some really nice flavor, and with triple smoke the fat firms up quite a bit.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)