Jamaican Rice & Beans

Started by Dano, April 24, 2014, 06:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

This makes a good base for my previous post of Jamaican Jerk Chicken!

Water
400ml can unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup white long grain rice
1 19oz can red kidney beans, rinsed well(can use a 26oz can if you want more beans)
2 green onions, fine chop
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
Dash of kosher salt and cracked black pepper

In a large measuring cup or pyrex, combine coconut milk and enough water to measure 2 1/4 cups (560ml)
Pour into pot or saucepan, whisk well to mix
Add rice, beans, onions, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper
Bring to boil over med-high heat
Reduce to low heat and simmer, covered, for about 20 mins or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed
Remove from heat, let stand 5 mins, fluff with fork

Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

Jim O

Sounds good. I think I'll sub black beans for the kidney beans,as the wife prefers them.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Dano

Sounds good!  I was also told you can sub in peas but I prefer the beans.  :)

waycoolcat

Thanks for sharing, I copied it down to try. I'm thinking with black beans or pinto beans.
I want to be a better carnivore!

Habanero Smoker

I love Jamaican Beans (Peas) & Rice. Try adding some fresh grated ginger at the very end. If you can find Pigeon Peas, they are the best. :) You can find them in the Hispanic section, Goya is the most popular brand. I also will throw in a 1/2 habanero (do not cut it up), right at the beginning, and remove it when the rice is done. Most will throw in a whole habanero that has been pierced with a knife in several places, and discard the pepper when the rice is done.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

barbquebec

...so many variations on a theme here and I agree with using pigeon peas instead of beans...had this in Trinidad and it's a keeper...
http://caribbeanpot.com/tag/trinidad-pelau/ 8)

Dano

Awesome, thanks everyone for the suggestions and sharing.  I love it when a plan comes together.  :)