Worried about bacon cure!

Started by PrairieSailor, April 26, 2014, 06:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrairieSailor

Howdy,

Been some time since I've been on.  I have done many slabs of side bacon  using the 10.5 maple bacon recipe with no problem.  But I have always used Morton TenderQuick until this time.  I tried using Prague Powder in this batch instead.  It's been 7 days at 40 degrees, and the belly is not firm at all.  I cut it into 6 smaller pieces too, when I put it in...so I would think the cure should be even faster.

I wonder, do I wait another day or two?  Of toss the whole works? (20lbs)

Habanero Smoker

Is the bacon overly fatty? Did you follow the recipe that is included in the tutorial?

It won't do any harm to go 1 or 2 days longer, it just my increase the saltiness. Take one of the six pieces, rinse all the cure off, and cut it down the middle, or through the thickest part. From the cut end slice off a few slices and fry them. If the meat remains rosy, during cooking, before it crisp up, you bacon is cured. If it turns grayish towards the center, then cure the other pieces a few more days. If most of the meat turns grayish, I would remove them from the cure, and store them like you would a fresh belly. The bacon may look odd, but it will be safe to eat; and can be used in casseroles, chili's, soup etc., if it doesn't look pleasant to the eye. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

PrairieSailor

Hello,

Thanks for the comment!  It's not a particularly fatty belly, no.  I cut a slice off and fried it as suggested.  It did indeed stay nice and red.  I'm feeling better about it, and will try to smoke it tomorrow morning.  I think next time I'll just stick to doing it the same way with the MTQ, that I'm used to.  (BTW - Yes, followed the recipe 100%).

Thanks for the help.

Habanero Smoker

I'm glad to see it cured all the way through. Sometimes the meat just doesn't firm up. Usually it is due to a particular cut, but with 20 pounds, that had to be two bellies, so I don't think it was caused by a particular cut. If it is overly thick, bellies may not feel as firm. Another reason, of many; can be that not enough salt was used.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)