First (successful) Cold Smoked Salmon

Started by waycoolcat, April 26, 2014, 10:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waycoolcat

When I got my BDS a few months ago the first thing I tried was cold smoked salmon. I did it with the smoke generator in the smoker with ice and the temp. went to 130*F. The salmon tasted great but it was baked and flakey.

This week I got the Bradley Cold Smoke Adapter. I only dry cured a 1 1/2 lb. salmon fillet because I'm still learning. I smoked it 2 hours 40 min. over apple. The temp inside the smoker was 68 to 70 the whole time. It is delicious! It has great flavor and a rich, silky texture.

Two questions:
1. Does cold smoked salmon retain texture if frozen? I'd like to load the smoker up next time.
2. Instead of a dry cure, would a brine cure give it better texture? Has anyone tried both?

I want to be a better carnivore!

Habanero Smoker

Cold smoke salmon freezes well, and you do not loose any texture.

I use Spy Guy's Recipe. I used it the first time, and got such great results that I never bothered to try any other way.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

waycoolcat

Thanks Habanero Smoker, I'll try that next time.
I want to be a better carnivore!

Dano

Looks good!  Has anyone compared cold smoked salmon to Kummok's recipe, which is a hot smoke?  I was wondering what the taste/texture/color differences are like, a part from the flavour of the brine of course.
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

Habanero Smoker

For myself I couldn't compare the two. It would be comparing apples to oranges, or sashimi to baked fish. :)

Cold smoke salmon is the same or similar as lox, depending on what definition of lox you go with. Hot smoked salmon is cooked with heat to denature the proteins, while cold smoke salmon is "cooked" chemically by the salt to denature the proteins, so the texture is completely different.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

pkadare

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 26, 2014, 01:03:42 PM
Cold smoke salmon freezes well, and you do not loose any texture.

I use Spy Guy's Recipe. I used it the first time, and got such great results that I never bothered to try any other way.

Another positive vote for this method. Simply awesome results!

warbirdog

Coolcat.. Google up "how to remove pin bones from salmon".  You will find it easier to cut thin horizontal slices with the pin bones out.

Doug in Alaska

Coolcat, a pair of needle nose pliers is how we remove pin bones up here, and we do a lot of salmon.  Remove them before you cure and smoke.  JMHO

Salmonsmoker

Coolcat, you can also buy a pair of fish bone tweezers. They work better and faster than needle nose pliers.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Jim O

Habs - I'd love to try Spy Guys recipe but ---(recipe site ????)

QuoteI use Spy Guy's Recipe. I used it the first time, and got such great results that I never bothered to try any other way.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Jim O on July 16, 2016, 09:52:54 AM

Habs - I'd love to try Spy Guys recipe but ---(recipe site ????)

No word on the recipe site. Did you downloaded the recipe file that made it easy for users to view the recipes offline; when the site was up? It will be in there.

Or you can do a quick search on this board:
Best Smoked Salmon

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Jim O

Habs - I believe I did. 

I'll try there.

Thanks.

QuoteDid you downloaded the recipe file that made it easy for users to view the recipes offline; when the site was up? It will be in there.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !