First cold cheese smoke question

Started by ukntcme, May 18, 2014, 07:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukntcme

I just started the smoke and I read 2 hours will do.  But do you flip the sheese half wasy tru the smoke cycle?

Walter

Jim O

I usually do 2 - 2/12 hrs smoke and don't flip them. We love our hickory smoked cheese.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Saber 4

Quote from: Jim O on May 18, 2014, 08:30:55 AM
I usually do 2 - 2/12 hrs smoke and don't flip them. We love our hickory smoked cheese.

X2 but we like apple or pecan for the smoke.

pensrock

I normally do flip mine at least once sometimes twice.

MoHuka

2 hours Cherry....no flip....vac seal....in fridge....wait 30 days.......
MoSmoker

tailfeathers

Quote from: MoHuka on May 19, 2014, 05:32:59 AM
2 hours Cherry....no flip....vac seal....in fridge....wait 30 days.......
X2 but with apple (will try cherry next time)
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tskeeter

I'm of the no-flip school.

You're not doing high heat cooking using a heat source that is only on one side of what you are cooking (as you do when you are grilling something).

The smoke makes a pretty dense cloud in your smoker, so the cheese is completely surrounded by the smoke.  That would allow the smoke to deposit evenly on your cheese.

pensrock

I agree the cheese probably will taste the same without flipping. But the color is different. After an hour or so when I flip it over the bottom is noticeably lighter then the top. So when I flip it, it has the chance to even up. Does it taste any different? I can't say cause I always flip mine. And I have never had a single complaint about any of my cheeses. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  :)

ragweed

No complaints on my cheese either, but I have the same color issue.  So, I'm going to start flipping.  Thanks for the tip.  Regarding color, I seem to get better color when the box temp gets up to 85* F.  I got poor color one cold winter day when the box temp stayed in the 60s and low 70s.  BTW, cheese melts at Nebraska latitudes at 104.7*F.  So I'm told.  ;) ;) ;)

BoxcarBetts

I haven't been flipping, but I also noticed the colour difference. Also, flipping will put grill marks on both sides, which may be a good thing if you want both sides the same. Or may be a bad thing if you want to hide grill marks for presentation.
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

pensrock

Yes the cheese will take on more color with higher temps. I normally run the heat on during the winter and set it for 85-90. Unless I'm doing Velveeta then I keep it cooler.

BAM1

pensrock knows cheese smoking so I'd listen up.  He brought some outstanding product to the Midwest Smokeout last year and will truly be missed this year.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

Saber 4

Quote from: BAM1 on May 20, 2014, 02:16:40 PM
pensrock knows cheese smoking so I'd listen up.  He brought some outstanding product to the Midwest Smokeout last year and will truly be missed this year.

Amen to both of those statements.

KyNola

Quote from: Saber 4 on May 21, 2014, 08:24:49 PM
Yup!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on May 22, 2014, 07:32:05 AM
Quote from: Saber 4 on May 21, 2014, 08:24:49 PM
Yup!

X3